Cuts & Transitions 101 - OFFICIAL DISCUSSION

Joey Scoma is here to talk to you about something simple: cuts and transitions. Except… there are so many different kinds!!

In this video essay, Joey lists and defines the different cuts and transitions available to you as an editor, with examples from classic and modern films. It’s up to you to decide how (and why) you use them!

If you’re wondering what movie that clip was from, just hit the “CC” button to turn on closed captioning.

Want to know more about secrets cuts and the art of editing? Check out these cool videos that we love:

The Film Theorists - Birdman Secret Edits You Probably Missed

The Cutting Edge (Full Documentary)

Questions for @JoeyScoma? Hit him up below.

Hey, looks like The Cutting Edge’s link is leading to a blocked video (maybe only for my country)

You probably should replace the link by that one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKKS5ohFo2I

Also, thanks for the video ! It was really instructive.

Oh shoot… we’ll fix that, not sure what happened there.

Thanks for this video. Perfect timing too. I was about to try to do a music video on the fly with some friends and family

I gotta say, really helpful and interesting video! One thing, in terms of workflow, would you do all of your cuts before or after color correcting/grading? And, does it depend on personal preference or is there a better way to do it? Thanks!

Things like VFX, color grading, and sound design/mixing should all come after an edit is finished and locked. Otherwise, you’ll end up accidentally coloring, mixing, and creating vfx for scenes that might just end up being cut out, and you’ve wasted a ton of time!

How do you and the guys on vimeo produce those visual essays. Where do you get the high resolution source material from? Do you buy and then Rip Blurays?

How do you and the guys on vimeo produce those visual essays. Where do
you get the high resolution source material from? Do you buy and then
Rip Blurays?

Pro tip! If you can’t find it online, you can request/borrow movies from the library for freeeee

Thank you for the Amazing Tutorial. “https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAH0MoAv2CI” -Cuts & Transitions 101-

I also appreciate very much if you could include the actual subtitles other than the closed caption of the clip info, please

If all fails please include a link to the youtube auto generated ones, which is better than nothing
Kind Regards

Libraries have movies in their arsenal? Must be an American thing, I have never seen a library offering movies in Germany.
What do you mean by “finding it online”?
Sorry for asking again, I know your time is limited for each question but I’d really appreciate if you could help me out.
Thanks Lauren.

I just watched this short film and had to share it here. The transitions blew me away - really slick and creative stuff (especially the first half). It’s also a great film.

Definitely one of the best examples of creative and interesting transitions I’ve seen.

@martyfnemec and @Jasper_Cloud

Joey2cuts!

@JoeyScoma The breakdown of that short Mad Max sequence blew my mind. I thought I understood how great the editing of Fury Road was just from watching it a few times, but breaking down that little jump cut just shows you how the greatest editing is hidden so deep that it is often incredibly hard to spot. Other than Mad Max, what are some of other movies that have taught you/have a lot to teach about editing?

Thanks for making this informative video. I created a tribute video for my brother that used multiple cutting techniques including cutting on action, match cutting, and others before I knew the definitions of each cut. Editing is about generating a flow that tells a story in the best way possible, and it’s especially relevant when working with a diverse body of footage such as my brother’s tribute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGVmOcX-Irc

@BDHTaylor Seriously mad max still blows my mind… I was originally going to use that example for just the cutaway… then i noticed the jump cut as i was editing it, It happens so fast, and it’s those little details that often goes unnoticed because the audience is hopefully consumed in the world by that point, I know i was, and I’m sure that film has tons of those kind of subtle edits hidden throughout. (I’m so stoked it won for best editing)

Teaching how to edit is tough because it depends entirely on the individual story and footage, so this video was the best solution that could apply to anyone. As you could probably tell I used some of my favorite films for the examples. I’ve seen all of these films too many times to count, so I always recommend asking yourself what some of your favorite films are … then dissect those even more. Study why those films have struck an emotional nerve, look at the editing, the staging, everything.

Also I’d suggest re-watching Tony Scott movies, Top Gun, Days of Thunder, Man on Fire, even Unstoppable is very well edited IMO… He’s got his own style and rhythm … keeps the momentum cranked up and sustained, not easy to do, yet he’s got it down. RIP Tony Scott. Yeah I’ll probably marathon his stuff tonight … just thinking about gets me fired up.

Just keep studying film, watch interviews from people you admire, find out who inspired them, and just keep working your way back through the years. Hope this helps.