Fan Friction Discussion

Hey guys, I wanted a place to discuss this great short where nobody’s going to be called a f@#$%&, unlike in the YouTube comments.

Well personally for myself one of the highlights has to be Matthew Mercer and his Cameo at the end.

“WINTERS NOT THE ONLY THING COMING” HAHAHAHHAHAHA… apparently a large amount of RJ fans are only here for guns. I found this to be hilarious.

My gun may not be vfx, but when I shoot it, it has quite the special effect :wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:

Love how the YouTube comments are all about how they want “the good ole days” of very kinetic, mostly mindless shoot’em ups. No offense meant to those old videos, but I feel like the shorts of RJTS are on a whole other level compared to the early FreddieW days. The filmmaking is not only more coherent with higher production value and bigger spectacle, but way more importantly there are actually stories with real depth and heart and honesty. A few of the old shorts worked great as microfilms, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t think there’s really any comparison to the new ones. Sadly like the Wachowski’s Speed Racer (2008), I feel like so much of the audience, particularly on the internet, isn’t ready for the level of earnesty in genre fare. Hell, the ending to High Plains Drifter was a direct homage to the end of Speed Racer. I hope RJ and the community of filmmakers here continue to make films that actively challenge the ubiquitous “gritty” and “dark” aesthetic with which the DC comic movies have so infected big Hollywood flicks.

You guys are the best. These comments are so wonderful and I shared with the RJ crew.

The one thing we try to be is earnest.

And also let’s be honest all our old gun videos just feel… different these days, don’t they?

Thanks for making a place to go to without the hate, this is by far my 2nd favorite RJ short ever(First one being london brawling, great action comedy), I loved all of it, and the best part about RJ:The Show is that I get a great story with an awesome fight scene and a lot of BTS! I can’t wait to see what comes up in the weeks to come, oh and shout out to Ashley Burch for an amazing directorial debut!

My thoughts on Fan Friction :smiley: Basically RocketJump is like Linkin Park to me right now (In a good way)

I just find it amazing how opposed to Change the Internet community is when the Internet is the most rapidly evolving things in human history

Also I think part of what makes this community so amazing is while most of the YouTube audience is there to just be entertained (which is why they like the shorter, more easily digestible FreddieW videos) the rocketjump community is on this community site because we aren’t just entertained by rocketjump but we’re also inspired by you guys (or at least I know I am) so watching you guys evolve and go on to bigger and better projects in a way makes us believe that we can achieve greater things too

I’m still not sure what I watched, but I know that I thoroughly enjoyed it from all aspects. This constant comparison to “the good ol’ days” is pointless and backwards; the RJ team has grown so much over the last few years, in both crew and experience/skill. To think you should still be making films like “Flower Warfare” is ludicrous when the talent on display in this short shows you are clearly capable of so much more.

I enjoyed this for many reasons; all the nerd and geek culture references were fantastic, as well as the sheer comedy of the plotline. Your special effects were part of the reason I started watching FreddieW, and they are still top notch, that fight scene was incredibly choreographed. I was admittedly startled by the explicitness of the dialogue, as it was not something I had come to expect from you, but that’s not a bad thing. I - like a lot of people - am more than happy to laugh at dick and jizz jokes, and I certainly appreciated the context behind the whole fan fiction idea.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I appreciate the fact that you as filmmakers are challenging yourselves to challenge the ideas of your viewers. Keep it up RJ, can’t wait to see where you go next.

The one random “just for me” joke I tossed in - the younger brother is playing Field of Fire; all the guns and bullets are VGHS Season 1 sounds I put together a few years ago. He makes the unlikely weapon switch from the Team Canada G36 automatic to The Law’s Golden Gun while playing.

Spent part of the day watching/re-watching the current episodes of The Show and, I’m still impressed at how well things turned out for Fan Friction. Learning after the 1st day of shooting that your remaining time has been cut in half is quite the obstacle to overcome.