Getting audio to sound consistent on multiple devices

@Daniel How do you ensure that your audio quality is consistent? I created a video including my voice and background music, it sounded fine in my headphones, but when I shared the video with my family on our tv it sounded muffled and it was very bass heavy. This is the first time I’ve really listened to one of my videos with anything other than my headphones, it was a good reminder as to what my viewers may be experiencing and I want to make sure my future videos sound good through any device!

Recording 101: Microphones - OFFICIAL DISCUSSION

Heeeeeyyyyyy, you made it! Thanks for posting up.

Adding @Kevin_Senzaki so he can give you his perspective. I’ll weigh in in just a sec myself.

What you did is actually what I’d recommend - testing your video back on more than one device. I’d recommend trying to get a good variety (smaller laptop or computer speakers, a TV, phone speaker) - after awhile you’ll learn how your headphones are representing sound and you can make better choices that’ll play well across all platforms.

That being said, some TV speakers sound like muddy garbage, period - I’d also recommend comparing another video, movie, etc. on that TV versus your headphones. It may be the TV more than it is your mix.

Bingo. So not surprisingly Kevin said what I was going to say.

The one thing I’d add is that if you’re using studio monitor headphones, you need to be especially careful to listen to your stuff on more consumer-oriented speakers/headphones. Monitor speakers/headphones typically have very “flat”/“accurate” frequency response, which means that the speakers don’t amplify or cut any particular frequencies. The sound that comes out of the speakers is more or less the sound that went in.

Consumer speakers/headphones on the other hand often “color” the sound. While crappy little computer speakers, laptop speakers, and some ESPECIALLY crappy headphones have no bass response, the far more common thing I see with “consumery” gear is that it actually has too much bass response, more than you want, and often at the expense of high-end or midrange definition. People think everything sounds better with more bass. It’s like at Best Buy when they jack up the contrast and brightness of all the TVs to 100 because to laypeople it looks more striking.

You want things to sound good to everybody, so you might actually have to strike a balance between what you think it should sound like on your monitors and what sounds good on “normal person” gear.

@Daniel @Kevin_Senzaki Thank you both for the insight! I will try to build a collection of devices, or at least start being more concious of what my vids sound like through the devices I already have. Thanks, again! That’s a interesting point on the “color” that public gear adds to sound. I could imagine it might be frustrating to have a $600 headset trying to make things that sound good on a $20 headset! :smiley: This will certinly be an ongoing learning experience in both audio and visual compositions!