Grip Hardware Essentials - OFFICIAL DISCUSSION

Pigeon plate? Gobo head? Quarter apple? Yes, these are real terms and not random gibberish. In this video, our friend and gaffer Dom D’Astice (@Dom) returns to Illuminar to show us the basic hardware tools of the grip department and how they are used.

We hope this helps any first-time grips with their on-set experience or acts as a fun refresher course for all the set professionals out there. If any pros have different terms or suggestions for gear, give us a shout! This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to grip and electric terminology so count on more in this series as we dive a little bit deeper.

Special thanks once again to Dom for being an awesome host!

Shout out to James Barker and the Terry Brothers, Daniel and Andrew, at Illuminar for helping out and letting us use their gear for this lesson! They’re located in Glendale, CA and you can check them out HERE.

Questions go below! Or share your favorite or regional gear names. We’d love to know! SWEET.

Hi! Thanks for the incredibly instructional video. You may have talked about some of the items in the video, but can you talk about what equipment is needed for car rigging? I’ve looked everywhere, but I can only find instructions using 5/8 rails and gobo heads, instead of 50mm tubes.

Car rigs are their own beast, but some of the gear in the video are definitely used for car rigs. Essentially there are 2 ways to build a car rig. With suction cups, heads, arms and pipes for smaller cameras. And then for bigger cameras, lots of speedrail, cheeseboros, ratchet straps, furnie pads etc. You can look up some videos on Youtube to get an idea of what I’m talking about. Car rigging is definitely a much more advanced topic as opposed to just basic rigging and gripping.

Yeah, I’ve seen lots of videos on car mounts using pipes and arms, but I can’t find any using speed rails. Also, do you know where to find suction cups such as the ones used in this photo?

Here is an older video that sort of shows you and explains step by step how to build a car mount. Bonus, it also shows you what a “hostess tray” is (Which is a car mount but for a window, to get a side shot of a character.) I watched and referenced this video back when I was rigging an IMAX camera to a roller coaster last year.

And here in Los Angeles, we have a company called “Film Tools”. They sell pretty much anything you want, but the downside is they can be a little pricey. So here’s a link to all kinds of suction cup mounts they sell, but you may be able to find them cheaper someplace else if you’re looking to buy them.