International Subtitles for VGHS

Hey there, i’m Alessandro and i’m a big fan of RocketJump and the VGHS Show, i was not very active in this forum (I just posted some videos in the Film School) but i watched VGHS several times and i saw that there are Italian subtitles only till the fourth episode of the first season :confused: Well, i’m italian and i don’t have problems to understand English but i suggested the show to some friends and, some of them couldn’t watch it because they’re not very good at English, this is sad :confused:

So, there is a chance that the Italian subtitles will be added ? :confused:
If is not a problem i’m avaiable to help in any way i can :smiley:
Thank you for reading !

That’s a great idea, but I’m not sure what would be the best way for us to attack that. Maybe we could get help from the community to translate into other languages?

I’ll think about it some and get back to you. Thanks for the suggestion :smiley:

Well I did offer to do translations to Dutch for you guys about a year ago… :wink:

I think that the community would be very happy to help translating into different languages, so, it seems a nice idea to me :smiley:
As i said i could help to translate in Italian because i’m italian and i love the show AHAHAHAH but i’m sure that there are many people that wanna help
Let me know what your decisions will be! And thanks for considering our suggestions :smile:

We’re discussing now and will let both of you (@Jasper_Cloud and @AtlasZeke) know ASAP! Thanks for the generous offer, guys!

I would be happy to help with french subtitles, I heard the last episodes of season 1 don’t have any.

Sending my carrier pigeon with a message to @SzPeti42 :

I’m not sure what you feel comfortable doing, but I thought this may be something you might be interested in. If I am wrong, please forgive me, but I know your language skills are excellent :sweat_smile:

I don’t know Italian, so I can’t help with that :smiley:

Season 1 actually has Hungarian subtitles made by someone in the unofficial Hungarian subtitle community, the rest hasn’t. I was part of this community or to put it more correctly I helped my ex-girlfriend unofficially translating the US version of the Office for the internet from season 5 till the end, because it wasn’t yet available here at the time in Hungarian. She did most of the work, I tackled the more creative or inventive challenges and always proof-read the current episode. So if you’re planning different localizations, I certainly can help if you want, but only with the Hungarian subtitles :smiley: Let me know.

I’m also wondering, why didn’t you authorized community subtitles on YouTube ?
I (and probably a bunch of other people) would be happy to help so the Rocket Jump and RJFS videos can be available to hearing impaired and non english speaker.
We would make the vids available to a larger audience, for free.

Alright folks, so looks like we’re all good to accept community subtitles. I’ll get that going and post back here when it’s done with instructions on how to get started.

Thank you all so much for your willingness to help. Incredibly generous of you!

cc: @Trisha

Alright, i’m very happy for this :3
We will do our best :sunglasses:

Alrighty alrighty! So it looks like they’re already enabled; we just have to review them. Just follow these instructions here from YouTube and let us know in the following thread when you need approval:

Thanks folks!

Does this now include open editing for RocketJump Film School and RocketJump 2, or just the main channel?

And VGHS S1E3 has a brand spanking new set of dutch subtitles. First one I had to do all the way. Guess the other guy gave up after two episodes =p

edit: oops wrong thread

@aoshaw21 I’ll open it up for RJ2 for now. RJFS will need a bit to figure out (we’re dealing with some complicated/boring account issues).

Hey, @Kevin_Senzaki, I’ll answer you here, because that thread should be for approvals, and I hope we can have a more relaxed, lenghty conversation here :smiley: Or we can make a new topic about translating.

Nonetheless here comes my big wall of text :smiley:

Oh yes, these are the aspects that I found really interesting about translating, that’s the challenge. It’s important to capture something without losing much in translation, staying true to the characters, etc.

We have a few practices for that, it depends on the vastness of the project, the audience, and so on. For example, Monty Python’s Flying Circus was translated by a very famous absurd comedian, he made subtitles for it for its first release, and also did a short few minutes long video segment before every episode explaining the more cultural jokes that we might not understand because we were in the soviet-bloc or weren’t alive during its airtime (it was first translated in the 2000s), and the untranslatable puns. It was a nice touch, I found it helpful and somewhat necessary for the full enjoyment, but it required extra work, camera crew, and stuff, so the Average Joe cannot really afford something like that.

There are the dubbed versions of movies which sometimes are completely different experiences with artistic freedom stretched to its fullest. The 80s was the Golden Era of Hungarian dubbing, seeing a movie back then (or in my case, seeing a movie from back then) in Hungarian was like another movie. Comedies especially, the translation for them can be more over the top than it needs to be even nowadays. Tango & Cash has whole scenes where the Hungarian version has literally no word and meaning correlation to the original and it even invented new words (one I’ve already used in VGHS, T&C is like my dub guilty pleasure :smiley: ).

Then there are movies which rely heavily on the different accents of English, which is impossible to fully get across in Hungarian, so one solution then is to give that character his own style of wording, slang, or something like that, it’s most present with over the top African American actors/comedians like Chris Rock, Chris Tucker, but the best example I can remember from recently is Russell Brand from Forgetting Sarah Marshall, who has this thick accent that really stands out among the American characters, but in Hungarian he simply uses utterly ridiculous phrases and words nobody ever does, but so nonchalantly that it kind of works and makes him uniquely funny (the Hungarian actor playing him did a great job).

But I really don’t like dubbing in general, especially nowadays. My English knowledge was formed hugely from my consumption of western media, and aside from learning it’s simply not the same experience when you can’t hear what the director/actor/anybody intended. Something’s always lost in translation.

DKs dialect is interesting, I did what you have described, but in Hungarian :smiley: Or at least I tried to, I’ll still run the sub through some of my friends to see if it achieves my desired effect. I tried to find odd, archaic, over the top, or just more epic sounding words, phrases, or even wordings for him to use. There are some very well-known and typical examples that can be used easily to achieve that. Maybe I should watch/read a bunch of folktales to expand my vocabulary, just in case :smiley:

I tried to give every character their own personality with my sub, Law is the most interesting over the top character besides DK, I gave him phrases that sound really lame from nearly anybody but funnily fits him like a glove, I gave him some old/new words Jim Carrey made famous from his earlier films’ Hungarian editions for example. Ted is the most childish here, so I gave him real contrast to Ki who’s the most well-spoken, I try to emphasize that in how I translate them. Brian and Jenny are the easiest, they are just teenagers trying to be cool :smiley: I even managed to sneak in some words that Brian tries to use to impress Jenny, and my greatest achievement so far is that there was one pun translation which I could use in two instances creating continuity in the sub :smiley:

It was in the dream sequence first when Brian dreams about Jenny getting him the spot on the scrimmage.

-Are you serious?
-Double-stuf serious.

The problem with that was that we don’t have double-stuf Oreos here in Hungary, so I had to come up with a completely different pun, and after tickling my brain I went with this:

-Ez most tuti?
-Tuti-frutti.

It solved my problem beautifully because Tutti-frutti is a well-known sweet word (it literally means ALL THE FRUIT in Italian) and “tuti” is a good, youthful word to use, it can mean “sure”, “absolutely”, even “awesome”, it can be used in place of that comedic, over the top use of “totally”, and so on. And I found myself using this word with Jenny frequently, and with that Brian started to use it when Jenny’s around.

The other instance was at the end of the same episode after Jenny invites Brian to her party:

-Sure. You guys can totally invite yourselves … Okay. My place. Tomorrow night.
-Sounds groovy, Jenny! … Or should I say … gravy?

The problem here was that we don’t have good words for neither groovy nor gravy, and especially none that has the same meaning as here :smiley: So in the end I used the same one Brian was dreaming about:

-Ja, tutira meghívathatjátok magatokat … Mindegy. Nálam. Holnap este.
-Tuti lesz, Jenny! … Vagy mondjam azt, hogy … Tuti-frutti?

It’s the kind of compromise I like. I used the same thing twice, but it created a linguistic continuity with Brian and Jenny, it fit the food nature of both puns, and it’s kind of funny for me to think about Brian using this pun again on the real Jenny after said Jenny uses the word “tuti” to them. And because in the dream it was dream-Jenny that had told him this pun, she has to like it, right? :smiley:

I hope I gave a “little” insight about the subject and my translation, please ask me more if you have anything in mind about it, I can give you more examples. Oh and I have the same feeling when watching something with Hungarian subs like you with Japanese, I always notice the differences. (I actually watched Dragon Ball Z in Japanese from start to finish, but I did need the subs for that :smiley: )

Thanks for the couple of detailed examples; I found it really fascinating!

Yeah, aside from some different phrases (a lot of short, conversational throwaway stuff doesn’t translate well between Japanese and English), I’ve found it interesting seeing how stuff like fantasy-world military ranks are translated (I believe the game uses “shogun” in Japanese and something like “high marshall” in English for one of the villains). The weirdest one, and I can’t remember what the dialogue was about, was when one character asked a random question, and in Japanese the answer was “uh, nope” and the English subtitle was “yeah, sure.” That does happen between the languages (the way you answer certain yes/no questions is inverted sometimes), but I recall it actually just… being a reversed translation? Like, completely? ._.

Haha, oh yes, those can be real head-scratchers :smiley: I don’t know what are they thinking sometimes, but sometimes, the official translator just doesn’t have enough time to do it properly. That’s a real problem here, they’re highly underpaid so they have to take on as many jobs as possible.

My favourite is from the official sub of Attack of the Clones. When Anakin jumps out the speeder during the Coruscant chase sequence, Obi-Wan murmurs to himself “I hate it when he does that”, but in the sub, he says “Ez rossz”, which is simply “It’s bad” or “”That person whom I only have a formal relationship with and I’m kind of a dick to” is bad” depending on context. :smiley:

American Football words were the worst during the 80s, 90s, and even in the 2000s before it became popular here as well with the rise of the internet. Nobody knew anything about the sport, so everybody used European football words to describe it no matter what, it’s kind of funny to look back now. My favourite is quarterback. Because centre-backs, full-backs are all defensive players in football (“hátvéd” in Hungarian), so obviously the quarterback must be some defensive player. :smiley:

On the other end of the spectrum, there are the creatively overblown translations like the old The Flintstones cartoon. Which is completely, a 100% percent rhymes in the Hungarian dub from start to finish, all of it. Imagine the work and care behind that translation. The second Asterix & Obelix movie does that too, the Egyptian one with Monica Bellucci as Cleopatra. I toyed with the idea to translate DK like that, but decided against it at the moment, I don’t know if I have the vocabulary right now for it, and it can be a bit too weird in writing, if you decide to release it here in Hungary with an official dub, it can still happen :smiley:

Oh wow, that sounds insaaaane with the Flintstones cartoon!

In addition to that, the number of translators (or even translation companies) can obviously have a big effect. I played the Dark Souls games in English, but there’s some incredible YouTube videos where they compare basically every piece of writing in the games to the original Japanese text, and ultimately worked out that there were likely two separate companies translating different portions, and their collective work was compiled in the final release product (for one of the games at least; I can’t remember which) which led to some inconsistencies in things like implied character gender for characters that are never physically present in the game, but only in the back story - which complicates the already extremely obtuse storytelling!

Yeah, we loved The Flintstones as kids.

I can imagine how it complicated things. I know what you’re talking about, it’s the same here with Video Games. First problem is that they don’t take this media seriously enough, so it’s usually below-par work, or was 10 years ago. I had the same issue with the first Witcher game, it was not just translated, but dubbed as well here, maybe because of the great Polish-Hungarian friendship, or I don’t know. Unfortunately it was an inconsistent mess, not just in the translation, but particularly in the voice direction, I think the director who was supposed to describe to the actors how they should perform their lines and what comes after what was as inexperienced recording voice for a Video Game as I am :smiley: One sentence the character is calm, the next sentence they shout loudly, and back to calm, it was all over the place, made the experience ridiculous. I find it sad that this could happen in the US too. At least we don’t have to worry about gender, that is maybe the only part in the Hungarian grammar which is easier :smiley: It’s really a bitch language to learn.

Another example is Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. They both have official hunsub versions, but as you can predict, the translation of the lore is everything but consistent between the games. But at least that’s two different games not in one game like Dark Souls :smiley: