International Subtitles for VGHS

For Mass Effect, is that possibly worse, though? Since all three games link fairly closely, I could almost see it being more disconcerting if each game is fairly consistent within itself, but then doesn’t match the next one? ._.;;;

Yeah, I’m looking at this chart, and while it’s really interesting, I don’t think it’s something I can pick up in two weeks :stuck_out_tongue: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_grammar#Emphasis

It was most apparent from the codex entries, there were ones copied from the 1st game for the 2nd, but in the translation it was clearly two different translation.
The Rachni race was translated to “Rekni” in the first game, but then it got re-translated to “Racsni” in the 2nd. And racsni is actually kind of a funny sounding name, and it has a different meaning in Hungarian :smiley:

It could be confusing, especially for kids, but Bioware kind of advertised every new episode as that’s a great place for new players, I think Mass Effect 3 suffered a bit from that if you’ve been there since the beginning.

But all this translation business was dealt with in the 3rd game, it simply wasn’t translated officially to Hungarian :smiley: I don’t know why, it was one of the more popular franchises here, the first 2 had subs, EA is a large, rich company. The same happened with the Fifa games, 10 years ago it was a huge thing that 2 of the most famous football commentators here recorded commentary together for Fifa 2006, and it went on for a few years, but with the current gen PS4-XBone-PC it was discontinued, those do not even have Hungarian subs. I don’t know what happened there. Football is almost as huge in this country as in Brazil, so the market’s here for it, we have a saying that we are the country of 10 million football coaches, because everybody knows everything about this sport, and everyone thinks they’re better than any professional :smiley: And the funny thing is the professionals here aren’t worth much, we’re quite awful at the game right now no matter how much of the taxpayer’s money is channelled into it by our government…

Oh you should run far, far away while you can, and feel lucky you didn’t have to take Hungarian grammar exams in your life :smiley: But if you’re somehow still interested I can certainly help :smiley:

I speak English natively and still suffered like crazy on grammar exams - I intuitively get it, but please don’t test me on it!

That’s a bummer that EA’s been dropping Hungarian localization support! On one hand, they are a huge company with the resources to provide the localization, but on the other hand, at the higher management level, they have a less-than-stellar reputation (they got some pretty bad publicity a few years ago for how they treated employees), and it wouldn’t surprise me if that same management, off in some corporate building in the US, went “screw Hungarian support, who needs that” and then from then on Hungary just got screwed. Sigh.

So I just remembered the absolute weirdest localization “problem” I’ve ever encountered, with the games No More Heroes 1 and 2. What’s especially strange is I think the translation was “right” every step of the way - everyone made the best choice at that time, but it still ends up causing a huge problem. The games are Japanese, and I played through both in English, so I was able to “figure out” what was going on by approaching it as a language puzzle, but the games themselves offer no explanation!

So, No More Heroes 1 has a bunch of side missions (with zero connection to the main plot) that are about killing a bunch of generic bad guys in suits. The mission text describes them as working for the “ピザバット” (piza batto) company, which is just an alternate on “ピザハット” (piza hatto), the Japanese way of writing “Pizza Hut.” Nothing too strange here; the “u” vowel in “Hut” doesn’t exist in Japanese, but otherwise it’s pretty straightforward. So naturally, the English localization went with “Pizza Butt,” since it’s a “correct” translation and also makes for a pretty funny, childish joke in English. No problems so far.

No More Heroes 2 takes this zero-consequence series of side missions and turns it into the main storyline. The problem is that in Japanese, “バット” (batto) sounds like the English word “bat,” so the new villain, the president of this evil pizza company, is turned into a weird Batman-like character. As a result, in No More Heroes 2 in English, the villain runs the “Pizza Bat” company, since there was no reasonable way to continue the translation joke from the first game. It also destroyed the connection between the two games, where the villain complains about how the hero “murdered all of his employees.” It’s a really funny joke if you’d played the first game, and actually understood the connection - kind of a “meta joke” about killing in games in general, similar to the humor of Hideo Kojima in the Metal Gear series. But anyway, that was completely lost in the translation, and it’s fun explaining that to people who’ve played the games in English! :stuck_out_tongue:

Huhh, wow, that’s an awesome example how things can get easily messed up in these situations, and you can imagine how confused I would be playing this as I would suspect something was up but couldn’t possibly understand the original.

I can imagine there are countless media being translated from Japanese to English every seconf of every day as they are fairly popular nowadays, so I would suspect that they take quality seriously, Hungary is a niche, almost insignificant market compared to that with an all-time low in average salary compared to other European countries and a largely broken school system. You couldn’t learn English here just by attending school, I did because I have relatives living in the US and was moderately intelligent to consume as much media in English as possible :smiley: And I even took some extra English lessons.

So of course we have almost the lowest percentage of English speaking population in Europe, everything has to be translated, and that quantity coupled with the average salary of a translator means low quality output, so we have blogs dedicated just to mistranslations :smiley:
It’s called LeiterJakab, which is a funny story in itself and it’s “The Original”, or historically first famous mistranslation recorded.

In 1863, a newspaper called “Magyar Sajtó” was going to write a story about Felix Nadar’s - a French hot air balloon pilot amongst other things – first ride with his new 6000m3 balloon called Le Géant. Budget unfortunately hadn’t allowed the journalist called Ágai Adolf to see it live, so he had used a paper from Wien which was in German of course. So he had decided to just Ctrl-c Ctrl-v translate that magazine’s line „Empor, empor, wir wollen so hoch hinauffliegen wie Jakobs Leiter”, which means “Up, up, we want to fly as high as Jacob’s ladder”. So it’s clearly a Biblical reference, and it’s “Jákob lajtorjája” in Hungarian. Now Ágai’s translation was “Fel, fel, oly magasra akarunk szállni, mint Leiter Jakab”, so basically “Up, up, we want to fly as high as this guy called Jacob Leiter” :smiley: He had clearly missed the Biblical meaning and that was a huge thing in the 19th century, so it became famous and it still is, the term “leiterjakab” was born and it’s still used as the official journalistic word for mistranslations :smiley:

Pizza Butt does sound dumb, like I don’t know, a man who’s name is Shane Pizza :smiley: That’s dumb!

That’s amazing that there’s a shorthand term for mistranslations like that!

You’ve done a phenomenal job learning English; your command of the written form at least is both very fluid and natural, and also extremely educated with a really strong vocabulary. I tend to write long, convoluted sentences and I try to purposely simplify things with some people who aren’t native speakers (or native speakers who… just aren’t that… smaaaart? ._. ), but you get the full, unfiltered rambling stuff I naturally write :stuck_out_tongue: It may be a complement you’ve gotten before, but while I’m comfortable and used to trying to explain things in easy-to-comprehend ways (actually, this is useful for RJFS videos, and I don’t think the audience is “not smart” - just making sure we’re clear here!!!), it’s really cool that I can just toss anything I can write at you, period.

I need help from the youtube translators around here.

I’m currently working on Five Night At Freddie’s but I have a problem

I can translate the subtitles but I can’t add any or change caption timing.
It means I can’t translate what is not said, as the title of the article on the pic, or the comments on Freddie’s video. They are necessary to understand everything so it’s kind of problematic.

Does any of you know how I could get access to more options ?

Wow Kevin, I’m blushing, thank you for your nice words, it means a lot as someone who’s not a native English speaker. I’m just like you in that regard, I mean in Hungarian too, that’s just how I can express myself the best. Which I’ve found out can be too much in situations, especially, but it’s just how I am, and I’m happy this way.

As I’ve already said our school system sucked balls (pardon my French), I hated it, it was more focused on dry-learning words and remembering long texts for exams rather than practicing conversing and stuff. And they regard only the exams as the way to determine progress, so you can imagine how bad it is. My spoken English therefore is pretty abysmal compared to my written.

My aunt who lives in Fort Worth, Texas speaks mostly Hungarian to my cousins, so they’re pretty good in Hungarian, and they were always the ones to visit us, we never went to the US as a family, which meant that growing up they spoke Hungarian to us all the time. I was the only one in the family seriously learning English, so I listened to my cousins when they were speaking with each other, which has prepared me for the more hard-core accents :smiley:
Nowadays I’m more inclined to speak to them in English, but we just don’t communicate that much.

I took my EU Standard English exam in 2004 when I was 16, and looking back at it, the bar for that exam was pretty low, I know people who can’t really write one proper English sentence using more than 3 words who still has this certification. I was much worse back then, but still got 100% in reading comprehension, 90+ in writing and listening, but only around 50% in speaking. The thing I like about writing is that I have the time to correct myself and you can read it in any voice you want, so I can be Morgan Freeman if you want :smiley: But I can imagine that it takes me twice as much time to write something this complex than you.
I’m a bit shy when I have to speak, even in Hungarian, I literally had fallen in love with my first girlfriend in writing as she was living 200km away from me and we had met in a forum. :smiley: I’m self-conscious about my accent and lisp and everything. I can speak, so it’s not that bad, but I still have much to learn and I’m not yet satisfied with that as much as I am with my written English.

Thanks again, you really made my day :slight_smile: And I’m looking forward to your more complex unfiltered ramblings :smiley:

Hey @Spica, I experienced the same issue, what I’ve found out is that I could only change the sub lengths and stuff if I’ve already had an approved subtitle on the video and you go back to change it.

Ah, crap.
So I have to get the incomplete subtitles approved first so I can change it, and then ask for approval again.

Sounds like fun…

Anyway, thanks @SzPeti42

I’m going to tag @Daniel and @Danny for when they get back from their respective holiday shenanigans in case it hasn’t been resolved by then!

(I got a nasty cold so I’m living on my computer trying to work; yaaay)

Episodes 6 through 9 don’t have English subtitles on Youtube, is it just a fault in my system @Daniel, or not?

I can’t really continue doing the Hungarian translations without the proper English wordings and timings, there are too many intricacies in the script for me to figure all out just from hearing.

I have found an unofficial English subtitle for the whole season, maybe I can work from there, but it will require more time and effort as I’ll have to do every timing.

I would prefer Freddie’s versions, those are the best to work with. Is there a chance to have them in the later episodes? Or if not Freddie, but somebody else could do an English sub that would be awesome. I will try to continue no matter what, but it will take more time :slight_smile:

Are you looking for someone to do the English subs @SzPeti42? If you’d like, I’d be happy to take a look in the morning.

Oh yes, that would be awesome, but while Daniel is not here, it won’t get approved, you can check out the separate subtitles I’ve downloaded from a site if they are any good English and timing wise.

I’ve spent the afternoon doing the ep 6 English, and submitted (I have let Daniel know on the submission thread). For your reference, Peter, here’s a copy:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amf6jgxZguMOhFgOd9Nt_lhupcPr

Oh cool, you’re subtitle appeared on the video, I jumped in right away just to remember this is the munch on a bunch of brunch crunch episode, and I’m not ready for that in the heat of the moment, I have to prepare my translating engines, so I guess next year sounds good :smiley:

I was thinking of all of you when completing these. It must be quite punishing for translators! Let me know what solutions you come up with for the puns etc. :wink:

It’s hard to explain, but I ran into some trouble translating Ace’s “meat” sentences to dutch. “what’s all this back to basics bologna?” I remember using dutch sayings with cheese to make it work.
So instead of "you don’t know SHINOLA (don’t know if that’s how you spell it) about first person shooting"
I used something like "Van first person shooting hebben jullie nog geen kaas gegeten!"
which pretty much translates to "you haven’t eaten any cheese from first person shooting yet"
which is a dutch saying for not yet knowing a lot/anything about something

Nice one! I did not bother with shinola, I gave him other stuff elsewhere where it was more natural sounding.

“Jenny you think any of these cheesedusters have what it takes?”

For this I went with

“Jenny, szerinted megvan bármelyik tejfelesszájúban a potenciál?”

tejfelesszájú is an older, more complicated word for inexperienced, or noob basically, it’s literal meaning is “That is a person who’s got sour cream on their mouth”. So the dairy connection remains, I like when I can find these nice words that fit so well.

Hahaha… hahaha… haha… ha… Youtube has decided to delete a few hours of my work on Episode 7, both the translations and the timings. HAhaha…hahahaha… so funny…

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo…

Sorry man. That blows.

It’s not even in the drafts? That sucks. I’m still trying to find some time to do the English for you, hopefully that’ll make it quicker the second time :frowning: