International Subtitles for VGHS

I stayed up late and did it again, because I was restless, so E07 is finished, E08 and E09 remains

Haha, I literally had just read your post on the submission thread as you posted that! :sweat_smile: Good job, and I’ll do my best to give you a hand this time.

Hey, @Kevin_Nguyen, in E09, when Scott is commentating the match and Law scores the second point, you’ve written: “Oh, great comeback’s ghost! They’ve scored again!”, which is fairly logical, but I can’t help but hear “great Carmack’s ghost”, John Carmack obviously being the famous programmer/id softwere co-founder mostly known for the dawn of FPS games with Wolf3D, Doom, Quake (they even made a Quakespeare pun earlier). With all the Molyneux jokes and gamer puns I think we should consider it.

You’re absolutely right! I didn’t even think of that. It’s been changed, thanks for bringing it up Peter! Bring up anything else you think I may have messed up and I’ll change it!!

So just to confirm (great catch @SzPeti42!) I’m a huge nerd so I went into my old email inbox, downloaded the shooting script for Season 1, and did a search for “Carmack,” and I can definitively confirm that that is the correct line :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re welcome! I guess this is that 10 year age difference, I was there when Wolf3D came out, and I’ve played the first Doom a bunch, even LAN multiplayer with my classmates in class :smiley: There were not much else, no internet for example, so it was like magic for us kids. And gaming has never lost that magic for me since.

I’m planning on doing a season-wide re-watch after I’ve finished the subs to correct possible mistakes, I’ll @ you if I’ll hear something else!

Oh yeah, thanks @Kevin_Senzaki for looking up and confirming that!

And just because it’s fun of course :grin:

I put back to Google translate my translation of the last DK line in S01, here’s the result :smiley:

Original: “Fare thee well, young Theodore, for we drift at daybreak!”

Translated: “Búcsúnk eljött vala, ifjú Theodore, hogy lőn kakasszóra driftelni kezdjünk!”

Google-translated back: “Bucs came to him, young Theodore, came to drift up crowing of the cock start!” :smiley:

Google translate does not like this archaic style of wording and structure :smiley:

Hey, @Daniel! I’m almost done with S02E01, but I discovered that the Youtube page could not save for a while, almost half the episode so now I’m afraid of closing my browser or sending it to approval because I don’t know if it will be the completed version or the version last saved. I saved the text to a text file so I at least won’t lose my translation :smiley:

I think I will check the whole thing, send it to you for approval and you can check if its the complete deal.

Hey @Kevin_Nguyen, Season 3’s last two episodes don’t have English subs on Youtube (so E05 and E06), it will be a long time before I’m getting there, but if you’re up to the task, I would love to have proper English subs on them :slight_smile:

I’ll get on it as soon as I can!