Introduce Yourself!

Hey everybody! I haven’t been on the forums in a few months (school and work started to really kick my ass and take up all my time) so I figured it was time for me to reintroduce myself to everyone. My name is Sean and I’m a production sound mixer and boom operator from Wilmington, NC. I have three semesters left of film school and then… Well then I’m going to do something. Still figuring that out but oh well.

I’m Ben. We also do shorts. I just watched “Five Nights at Freddys” and some of the gags were a lot like the one we released in October. https://youtu.be/1vB2B-Lh36Y

We have similar writing styles. Love it!

Welcome Ben! Glad to have you with us. Feel free to share any of your scripts to have critiqued or if you need any help with them!

Take a look around and ask questions! We will be glad to answer them.

Hello Ben! Pretty much what @Kevin_Nguyen said, he put it perfectly. We look forward to seeing any work you’d like to share with us :slight_smile:

Hey guys, this is Eddie from San Diego. I’m currently a film student with a small amount of experience, fairly well versed in Adobe AE and PP. Can’t wait to learn as much as I can here, and hopefully get some good criticism in my films.

Welcome Eddie! We’re glad to have you, look around and feel free to ask any questions you have! We would be glad to help you out.

Post your work and I promise you will get some feedback!

Hey welcome @undefinity and @feddieay! Let us know what you guys want to see.

I better make my intro, since I’ve been active these last few days.

I’m the jaded and cynical old fart/weird uncle that worked for years in the biz, got completely burnt out, and ran off to live in Mexico.

I’m pleased to report that while I might still be cynical, I no longer feel jaded and burnt out. I’m actually pretty jazzed, and the fine folks at RJ have renewed my faith in humanity and/or filmmaking.

I am super interested in smartphone or móvil filmmaking. About a year ago I started experimenting with an iPod touch. I bought an iOgrapher rig, lens, and a cheap Røde Mic. Then I got an iPhone 5s. This December I moved up to an iPhone SE. (And yes, my purchases were partly because they fit the accessories.)

I attended a one year digital media program at the AFI back in 1999-2000. Final Cut Pro v. 1 had just come out and the big buzz was “prosumer” miniDV equipment. Finally, affordable broadcast quality video was possible. Media would be democratized! Power to the people! It was the beginning of the digital video revolution and all that jazz.

Fast forward to the present. No wait. Newspaper montage. Whatever. I’m living in Mexico, dicking around with my phone’s camera and it really hits me. Anyone with a smartphone has the capability to become a filmmaker. I see kids and adults all around me with smartphones, with the capability to tell their stories, to shoot video, assemble it right on their phone, and then distribute it to a world wide audience.

This probably isn’t news to many of you. You’ve grown up with this stuff. It’s like the air you breath (or the water you swim in if you’re a fish). But truthfully, this is a big deal. A very big deal. A billion people are walking around with potential movie studios in their pocket.

Most of that billion aren’t really interested in making movies. But many millions are. If only someone should help them and teach them how. Show them both the principles of storytelling and filmmaking as well as the nuts and bolts of production.

So that’s my current purpose, here in sunny Mexico. I decided in December that I would start a film program. I formulated a plan and announced it. One of my friends is the executive director of a business and college prep school, and he’s letting me use one of his classrooms—and giving me access to his students and contacts. Our official start will be in February, but I’m already teaching a few students (my development team) about preparing a script. (And we have a first draft of the script for the first student project). Another friend has an insert stage with a green screen he will let us use. It’s been a month since my decision to get off my ass and just do this (trust me, I’ve been chewing on the idea for a few years). In that time I’ve been getting a lot of interest and encouragement. And I’m hustling my ass off trying to get lighting equipment and computers (for post—I might have exaggerated a bit about the current editing capabilities of mobile devices). Next week I’m going to teach my students how to tear apart the script I wrote so we can tighten it up. The week after that, we will be doing preproduction.

February will be production. Two weeks of classes and two weekends of producing the web video. Then two weeks more of post. Then we will start on preproduction for the next project.

Anyway, that’s what I’m doing. The long range plan is to create a team of collaborators with the skills to take on any project and that will be able to pass those skills to the students that come after them (so I can kick back, eating tacos and drinking horchata).

Let me just add that if anyone wants to come down to shoot in some exotic locales (or even just have a nice vacation), I’ll hook you up. I’m your guy in San Miguel de Allende. (Now is a good time to come because the exchange rate is insane. 21.7 pesos/dollar.)

Welcome Marcos! Great to have you here and great initiative. I look forward to seeing the finished projects!

That’s a great project!
And welcome by the way!

Hi Marcos!! We’re so happy you found us and what an awesome story you have. The bit you mention about cameras on cell phones is one of the fundamentals that RJFS is based on - film equipment is democratized so film education should be too! Better stories for everyone! One of the best things about working on RJFS and being in this community is discovering the variety of experiences and backgrounds here.

Anyway, thanks for being so present in this forum already. Welcome and I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on all things filmmaking. :slight_smile:

Fan-#$%&ing-tastic! So glad to have you, and thanks for the introduction. Haven’t been to Mexico in a year or two…maybe I’m overdue? :stuck_out_tongue:

You’d be crazy not to if you have the time for a little vacay. The exchange rate is the best I’ve ever seen it, over 20/1. I’m a low budget guy, so I also fly in and out of the Tijuana airport on Volaris, using the new bridge to cross to and from San Diego. I’ve paid as little as $70-80 for a one way ticket between TJ and Bajío International.

There is also this in July: http://www.giff.mx/en/

That’s the Guanajuato International Film Festival, the biggest in Latin America. I know the executive director, Sarah Hoch. I want to suggest to her (next time I see her) that she invite the RJ crew.

Just noticed that the website doesn’t have the 2017 dates up yet. It’ll be roughly the same week in July.

Hello, all! My name is Joseph Casarez. I’m a college student at UTSA, and I have a passion for script writing. I admire what you guys do, and how incredibly fast your production team is growing. Looking forward to interacting with the community and contributing to the forums.

Welcome Joeseph!
You’ll find plenty of others who share your interest in writing. For example, you may wish to get involved with this group:

If you have any questions, be sure to let us know. Enjoy your time here, and we’re looking forward to interacting with you too!

Hey! I go up to SA once or twice a year (I love La Cantera Apple Store) when I have to exit Mexico (to get a new tourist permiso). Let’s keep in touch and maybe we can grab coffee sometime.

Thanks for the shoutout! We love new blood…it nurtures the creatures of the night.

Hello everyone, I’m Chris!
I’ve been enjoying the amazing antics of Rocketjump for some time, but only in the last few weeks have I discovered the treasure trove of content in the RJFS side of things. I’ve binged all the videos and feel newly inspired by independent film makers.

As an illustrator, I’ve previously had experience working as a storyboard artist and found Kevin the Sound Guy’s breakdown of the process thoroughly enjoyable. Recently, I’ve joined some pals to put our resources and enthusiasm together to level up our hobbyist productions. Prop building and collecting is one of my leisure pursuits so now I have found an avenue to put them to use on film :]

I’ll be sharing some of what we’ve done with our love of action & comedy in the appropriate threads soon!

Well Chris, welcome to a whole new level of rocketjump!
I’m looking forward to all your contributions to the forum! If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask! Here at RJFS-warts help will always be given to those who ask for it :smiley: