LAPL Panel Series: Producing - Discussion

This is the official discussion thread for LAPL Panel Series: Producing.

How do you feel about producing? What did you think of the panel?

This topic is now unlisted. It will no longer be displayed in any topic lists. The only way to access this topic is via direct link.

This topic is now listed. It will be displayed in topic lists.

I agree with quality content, use of local resources, and budgets. I especially liked what Jamie was talking about, in that best quality does not always mean highest price paid…Quality content is key

*not to talk ill… but, I actually had a couple of AI Illustrator freelancers that did some great (awesome) works for me for $350-500.00. compared to a commercial print company who charged me $900-$2,500 for garbage that was less quality. Freelancers were so great in works and help, that they will always have a place to go, for a job by me…Printing company, i will never use them… Again, the highest paid prices for works, are not always the best quality works. -just sayin’ … Jamie hit the nail on the head.

I also loved that nobody realized they were eating day old doughnuts/pastrys from Ashim-hahahahahahahahaha… :smile:

Any Chance you guys might be able to follow up on a few of the questions that were asked here. Might be a good separate video to see a day in the life of all 3 of your producers.

I would also be curious to know how to eventually start making money with the content produced. I understand that creating content is king, and it goes a long way. But I would like to hear practically, if there is a business model your team uses to create value and keep everyone there working and paid.

They still tasted good I promise!!

And yes quality is always key, that and trust in who you are hiring!

It looks like this section isn’t getting a lot of community love right now at RJFS, and I think that’s really sad. I want you to know, @ashim11 and @Jamie_Lukaszewski, that I really appreciate the effort you guys put into that panel (and @Lauren of course) and these videos you’re making.

Obviously we can’t all be producers on a set, but as someone trying to get into YouTube and low budget filmmaking, I don’t have the luxury of having dedicated positions for everyone. Most people don’t. Currently I run a vlog and I’m trying to make a lot of other simple content but with everything I do I have to wear all the hats because it’s usually just me. I’ve really learned to appreciate the roll of producer through all this. Things like: I have to take a step back and figure out what people are looking for, what’s going to be good for me and my channel’s growth, and what is going to be a good idea to work on every video. This is very basic producing.

I think a lot of the new filmmakers on here could learn a lot from the organizational and management aspects Producing brings to filmmaking. It’s helped me so much. A year ago I thought I’d be making weekly shorts and streaming constantly and just in general making cool stuff simply because I had fun ideas. Things didn’t pan out and a lot of stuff fell apart because I wasn’t grounded and I overextended my resources. That was really disheartening and that’s the thing that probably knocks a lot of people out of the game.

I know that I personally was approaching things as a writer when I was first starting out. My thoughts were steeped in fantasy and optimism and I thought that if I could write it I could bring it to life. I soon learned I needed filmmaking skill so I started working with directing, cinematography, and vfx but even then I didn’t have the equipment or people to shoot the stuff I wanted. Progress was slow, I searched for more resources instead of shooting and I didn’t really get anywhere.

I didn’t even know what a producer was until very early this year as RJFS Beta was rolling out. Through this forum and some of my filmmaking classes I started to understand this role and realized that not only did I need a Producer on my projects but that I really liked the idea of working as a Producer myself in the future. I was working towards an accounting major at one point, I was lead cashier for a couple years at my old job, and now I work full time as a supervisor for one of my school’s IT departments. Money, schedules, delegation, but also team work come easily to me. I do love the creative side of filmmaking as well but as @Matt said in an earlier post, a good Producer is working and checking on the project every step of the way. It’s your baby even as a Producer and you can make creative calls and impact if that’s the sort of Producer you are.

Anyway… I think that new filmmakers should be checking this section out no matter what they’re interested in. Take it from me: you can easily fail if you don’t have the organization ability or if you don’t ground yourself. You can easily fail without a Producer, but that’s not a job you just unload onto someone. A Producer shouldn’t be some big wig who you try and step around at every turn, nor should it be just some friend with money you can convince to fund your projects. The Producer of your films can be you and you can have more creative freedom AND a higher chance of success if you just take it seriously. I didn’t get anywhere near as far as I thought I would in the past year, but I’m a lot farther than where I started. With the Producer mindset I knew to focus on consistency and utilizing my skills. I knew to be patient to work up my skills and I learned to focus on what’s possible not just what sounds cool. I look forward to driving bigger projects forward in the future, and, well, producing awesome stuff.

Sorry for the wall of text, I did say I was a vlogger. :laughing: I just want you guys to know that I will be watching this track (as well as every other track because I want to understand everything) and that I will be patiently awaiting your next videos. There’s almost no-one out there making content about producing so you guys are super cool for making this. :grin:

Thank you @Lauren , @ashim11, @Jamie_Lukaszewski, Chad Kapper, and Ryan Chaffee for making this video. There were many great lessons I learned from this panel discussion; especially, if you have an idea, just go make the video you want.

Also, being efficient and staying flexible are now going to be key bullet points I will always remember.

Thanks again guys!