Lens Filters 101 - OFFICIAL DISCUSSION

In our previous interview with Ira Tiffen, we talked about how filters could be used to help tell your story. We also asked Ira to list his top 5 types of filters, which we break down more in-depth in this video.

We go over:

Proper use and application of these filters will be expanded upon in future videos!

Have burning questions? Ask us directly below!

Extra special thanks to Schneider Optics. You can watch the interview with Ira here.

Thanks I really liked this one, I have to start using my filters better!

Hello! can you tell me what song is used in the outro of this video, thanks!

Hey there! If you’re talking about the song playing during the RJFS end card, it’s a custom piece that our friend and composer Maxton Waller wrote for us! You can check out his site here.

Love this video!

Question: We shoot a lot of real estate videos and struggle to see through the windows because the settings are adjusted according to the light in the room. Would a filter fix this? If so, which one?

Thanks!

I want to say a polarizer should help you but this is definitely a question for Ms. @Lauren.

Hey @Nekst are you talking about how outside is too bright? Or because there are reflections in the windows?

A polarizer can cut down reflections, but I’m guessing you mean that since you’re exposing for the light levels inside, the light coming through the windows is too bright and overexposed. There are a couple things you can do!

Shoot during early morning or late evening, when the light outside is not as intense. (You might have some white balance difference, however.)

Bring more light into the room so the exposures are more similar. I’d suggest bright, soft lights that match the color temperature of the lights already in the room.

Cut down the amount of light coming in through the windows by covering the windows in ND gels. If the gel is smooth, it should look invisible, and it can cut the light down a few stops depending on which degree you buy. ND 3 cuts down one stop of light, ND 6 cuts two, ND 9 cuts down three, and ND 12 cuts down four. You can buy them in individual sheets or in large rolls.

Yes, the light coming through the windows are overexposed.

A majority of homes have great natural light that lights up the room but when I record towards the windows, its nothing but a huge light beam coming in from outside (looks like your entering heaven lol).

But thanks for the advice, we will play around with the ND gels.

Thanks Lauren!!!

For photography what I sometimes do is composite two shots. One exposed so the outdoor is good and another so the interior is good then we comp the 2 together.

Not sure if you could do that for video.

Otherwise just flood the location with light to better match your exterior exposure I guess.

Sometimes clients like the overexposed window look! But I’m guessing for real estate they need to show the views.