This is our first installment of our Lighting 101 series, where Lauren walks us through an important concept in film lighting: the quality of your light-- i.e. how hard or soft your light is.
In this video we cover:
- the differences between hard and soft light
- how the size and distance of your source affect the quality of your light
- how to create hard and soft light using those concepts
- what diffusion actually does!
- how to apply these concepts to your own lighting
For those interested, the lights used were:
- 800 Joleko with 50 degree barrel
- Two 4’ 4Bank Kinos stacked on top of each other
- 250 Diffusion Gel hand-held in front of the Joleko
- Astra 1x1 Bicolor Litepanel, softbox added
- Sola 6 Litepanel Daylight Fresnel, bounced into large styrofoam bounce card
- Inca 12 Litepanel Tungsten Fresnel, shot throught 8x8’ silk on frame
If you have any more questions, ask @Lauren below!