Making a film with CANON 650D?

Hello to all!

In a past few years I have been directing/producing/shooting/editing low-to-no budget short films and music videos. I have Canon 650D (Rebel T4i), worked with 18-55 and 50mm lenses. To be honest, I don’t understand everything about how camera works, and about lenses, but I do have some basic knowledge about shutter speed, frame rates, lighting a shot…

In few months I will begin working on my first feature film. I would really love to have a DP and editor, so I could focus more on the script and directing, but when you are working guerilla style, you can’t be a chooser. I want to distribute this film later, so I have a few camera questions -

1. Do you think it is a good idea to shoot the film with Canon 650D? There will be many int/ext shots and many night filmings. There is a possibility I will film with another camera, but if not, I will probably be using 650D since it’s low budget film and most of the money will go to the paychecks…

2. Can you guys suggest a lens for me? (In case I shoot with 650D) Visually, I would love it to be 2.35 : 1. aspect ratio with framing shots like John Carpenter did in his glory days. But I don’t think we will be able to afford anamorphic lens so we will probably letterbox it in the post.

Apologies for any grammar mistakes, English isn’t my first language. :slight_smile:

I don’t know the 650D well enough to give you a proper answer. I don’t know if it would be wise to ruin with it for an entire feature film, but in the end it’s what you have and don’t need to post for anymore. You can get a lot of tests done to see if it’ll be good enough for the night scenes and other scenes.

Concerning the aspect ratio be very careful with that. Not only because it’s not just a stylistic thing but also a storytelling tool. Different aspect ratios are experienced differently by an audience. So think about your story and if you need it.
But also I think this would mean you’d be shooting in full HD right? You’d be chopping of a lot of the resolution and would need to be very careful while filming also.
And I don’t know how you would add the letterboxes, but make sure you don’t just throw black bars over your project, but set your project to the desired aspect ratio and move it in the effects panel to get the framing right.
By having the project in the right ratio you’ll only get letterboxes on screens that are too high. Your letterboxes aren’t baked in that way.

What kind of distribution are you going for?