Maximizing the effect of sound blankets and Minimizing reverb

Hi everyone,

It’s me again with another sound related question which I hope you can help me answer.

Soon I’ll be taking part in a shoot that mostly takes place indoors and our location is a building with big, tall, empty rooms and, of course, this means that there’s quite a bit of reverb and I’d like to get rid of as much of it as possible.

In the first episode of the “Sound Gun Series” the Rocket Jump Film School refered to the use of sound blankets to dampen the reverb of a space however, it didn’t really go into depth on how to make best use of use of them. Besides pointing your microphone towards the sound blanket, is there any other tip that I could use to maximize their effect?

Also, what other ways are there to reduce reverb in a space while shooting (maybe using a certain type of microphone, etc)? And what about it post?

Thanks for all your help in advanced,

Albert

If you’re recording dialogue, lavalier microphones are probably your best bet. They won’t pick up as many reflections as a shotgun mic, so you’ll be at a better starting point in post.

One thing I did in a similar situation was, after we had finished shooting the scene, borrowed some C-stands and blackout curtains from the camera team and created a makeshift ‘sound tent’ to record wild lines of that scene (basically clean recordings of all the actors’ lines, kind of like ADR but it’s not done to picture. You just kind of hope it syncs up)

Izotope RX comes with a “De-reverb” plugin that you can try in post with varying degrees of success.

Hope some of that is useful! :slight_smile:

My latest vlog shows off a few “sound blankets” I used:

Ideally you’ll want to get ones which are white on one side and black on the other, as then you can work with the DoP’s lighting plan rather than find yourself in an awkward situation where you might be working against it :stuck_out_tongue:

This is always why you’d go for a SDC Hyper such as an Oktava MK012 HC or a Audio Technica AT4053b (just to name a couple of low budget classics) rather than a shotgun.

As a shotgun is meant to attenuate (“reject”) the sound coming in from the sides, which is awkward if they’re the reflections of the same sounds you also want to record… not a good thing at all!