Not sure how this cool effect is made


Hey. This clip is from the series “Chuck”. I’ve seen this effect in other places too, and I really can’t figure out how it’s done. The background seems to move out while the subject moves in. Could it be the type of lens?



It’s called “The Dolly Zoom”


Thanks! I need 15 characters.


Yep! You move the camera in, while using a zoom lens and zooming out with it simultaneously. It’s the same basic combination technique you can use to get stuff like this shot from Fellowship of the Ring: