Screenplay Formatting - OFFICIAL DISCUSSION

If you wrote a book, you would probably not write everything and then cut it in chapters.
It’s the same for a series. :slight_smile:

I was wondering, what is the name for that kind of shot where two different scenes are on screen, sometime used in phonecalls ?

I don’t know what to write in my script :confused:.

Mike mentions this one in the later part of the SCREENPLAY FORMATTING video! It’s called INTERCUT WITH. I would watch the video for specifics on how to use it. :thumbsup:

I was thinking to a split screen (the word finally came to my mind), not an intercut.
Anyway, thank you for the answer !

Here’s the PDF of (500) Days of Summer. Skip to page 61 to see how they do it.

http://nski.no/wp-content/uploads/500DaysofSummer.pdf

Really useful, thanks !

I saw the word CONTINUOUS used in a few scripts as for example EXT-GARDEN-CONTINUOUS.
I think I understand how it’s supposed to be used, but can anyone tell me how it’s helpful and also if it’s common ?
Thanks !

I found all the answer I needed, no need to answer my question.

@RocketjumpMike or @Lauren or @JoeyScoma , want to answer @Spica 's question for the greater good?

Lemme just jump in this dead thread really quick and see if I can’t get help figuring this out. If one was to write a scrip dealing with a character with multiple personalities, specifically this character speaking/arguing with it other personality, would one script it like with Wayne and Batman? Or would you script it differently? Does that make any sense?

I have some ideas of how I might do such notation, but - honestly - let’s just go to the source. Here’s the script for LOTR Two Towers; it has example scenes that contain exactly what you’re talking about: http://www.fempiror.com/otherscripts/LordoftheRings2-TTT.pdf

Hey @Mysterywriter! We actually got a somewhat-related question in the YT comments right after we released the video.

This was the question:
“what if the character has an alias? (like maybe hulk/bruce banner or batman/bruce wayne) would you put both names in the character ID?”

Here was my response:
“It looks like when the character is a civilian, he/she is referenced as his or her civilian name (e.g. BRUCE WAYNE) and when the character is operating under their alias, the character ID changes (e.g. BATMAN). We looked up the The Dark Knight Rises script and this is what the Nolans did for their script. Makes sense - for example, you would want to designate whether PETER PARKER or SPIDERMAN was in a scene with Mary Jane as that would change things up considerably. Would definitely recommend looking up more scripts that deal with this situation.”

If you are doing something with multiple personalities, you would definitely use the character ID to depict which personality was talking at the moment. You’ll want to be really clear that these are multiple personalities of the same person at the moment the audience figures this out - whether it’s right at the beginning or at a crucial turning point.

The best thing to do is look at other successful scripts that have employed multiple personalities, just as @Exquisite_Corpse has suggested. I believe the most prominent example in LOTR:TT is Gollum/Smeagol. Great example!

If one is doing everything themselves (writing, filming, so on); how would one indicate the camera placement or type of shot?

In terms of indentation, it goes as an ACTION (left aligned, no tab), and I’ve seen it done many different ways, but my preferred method is this one:

TYPE OF SHOT IN ALL CAPS FOLLOWED BY A COLON: Now tell us what the shot is seeing in lower case

Example -

EX. WIDE SHOT, SMOKING VOLCANO: The ground rumbles, and there is a faint but distinct ‘roar’

INSERT OVERHEAD: From a bird’s eye view, we look down the mouth of the volcano for a moment then-

BOOM

ON STREAM OF LAVA: Slowly making its way down the slope

But - I will say - camera direction can be a pretty blunt intstrument - even if you’re filming your own script. Once you get to the set and have the camera in your hand, you’ll have 100 other angles you can try. The fact is, a writer is seeing the scene in her head - something that isn’t really built yet. The real truth from a photography standpoint is when you have the scene set.

Still, I don’t actually have a problem with camera direction…it just ends up being imposing and disposable a lot of the time

Thank you for the advice. I am 100% new to all of this and now doing all except make up. So figured more prepared before film day the better. and until I get an ‘eye’ for the shots I thought best I note what shots I will need. Just wasn’t sure if should have it noted in the screenplay or just the storyboard (or both).

Hey there! I think @Exquisite_Corpse’s advice is pretty spot-on if you did decide to include camera direction in your script. That being said, I’d highly, highly recommend learning how to write a script without it. If you are going to work with a cinematographer, actors, a crew, anybody you might need to share your script with, you should get into the practice of not including camera direction in your script unless it’s 100% vital to how you want your vision to be read.

Try and save camera direction/placement notes for your storyboards or even note them in the margins of the script when you’re planning out your shot list later. My two cents. Good luck!

do we also mention camera angles in screenplays?
and wats the basic difference b/w script and screenplay

Usually it’s better to not describe camera angles. You’re writing, not directing.
A script can be for a stage play, a radio program a movie… Specifically the screenplay will be played on screen, it can be a for a movie or a Youtube video for example.

Hai ! i just joined it today and its my first post here , i just wanna ask is it important to have a screenwritting software , than how martin scorsese and quintin tarantiono were writting back in 70s and 90s , there were no scree writting software back than , right ???