Sound Vs. Picture - OFFICIAL DISCUSSION

Definitely no. 2. Sound trumps video quality plus the iphone look kinda goes well with the parody.

I just have two question though. Would you have been able to use an ntg3 for this particular shoot? And are you using the nt5 for all shoots or just the indoor ones?
Thanks!

The mic decision was at least partially informed by what gear was readily available at the time - there’s nothing theoretically wrong about using an NTG3 or any other microphone instead. While it depends on the particulars of the space, the NT5 tends to do well in most modest-sized interiors, but I tend to favor the NTG3 for outdoors and larger interior spaces. If you have any specific questions, definitely let me know, but the short version is that in our example, the microphone placement is having a greater impact than specifics of what equipment we’re specifically using.

Thanks for the info Kevin! I know a lot of people don’t like answering the question i’m about to ask but I NEED to know from a pro sound guy. What would be your choice of a good indoor mic within a 1000$'s. Like a top 3 list! Thanks!

Indoor exclusively? In general, the cardioid condensers that can work well indoors are typically mostly under $1000; it’s the shotgun mics that usually “get good” around the high hundreds to low thousands - the sort of “industry standby” shotgun mic, the Sennheiser MHK-416, typically retails for exactly $1000. For comparison, Rode’s angle is typically good value-for-cost, and the NTG-3 compares well for what you pay.

To explain the smaller cardioid condenser mic vs a shotgun mic - basically, a cardioid condenser like the NT5 has a wider range in which it picks up sound, which can make it more forgiving for shooting indoor scenes - provided the environment is quiet and controlled. The advantage of a shotgun is that its narrower, more focused range can be used to cancel out and minimize environmental noise in noisy interiors (like big, echoey spaces), or outdoors - at the cost of a forgiving mic; once a shotgun veers a little bit off-target, the sound quality diminishes pretty quickly. So I’d consider your potential shoot situations - you can use a shotgun indoors in small spaces (but your accuracy has to be better). The most versatile compromise may be something like an NTG3 plus an NT5 as an alternate option for indoors?

Also just FYI, I’ll sometimes test-roll on location and compare two mics - have someone (anyone; doesn’t need to be an actor) talk, clap, and yell in the shooting space so I can quickly record two files and then A/B compare the playback to see what’s working best. The above are general guidelines from my experience, but every now and then the results will surprise me and go against what I may have assumed was the best choice.

Yes, indoor exclusively. We already own a rode ntg3 and we were looking for a good indoor mic that we could use in reflective spaces where the ntg3 might not do too well. We were looking at the audio technica 4053b or the Audix SCX1-HC. Basically we need a second opinion!

The testing thing makes a lot of sense actually. Will definitely put that to practice!

I personally don’t have much experience with Audix products, but I’ve had good results with Audio Technica (I own an AT4041) which I’ve used for a lot of voice recording (as well as some foley and effects recording), and have been pleased with the results. I’d recommend checking a couple reviews on that specific model for value-for-price, but it’s a solid brand.

Thanks! Much appreciated!

What if the film is zero budget. They only have a smartphone to shoot with and a free editing software? The film can be ADR or Dubbed right?

Yes, you can totally do ADR, but just keep in mind that that can come with its own difficulties - not all people are great at it, and it can also be distracting if the audio quality doesn’t match the environment seen on-camera (professionally-speaking, all ADR gets mixed and processed to better match into the scene). If you’re in a really noisy location, this can be a great solution, but depending, the smartphone audio might actually be better in some cases. There’s no single right answer; whatever works best for your specific situation, and don’t be afraid to try anything!