Story Break Podcast Discussion

Doesn’t seem to be availible. If it goes public or unlisted or something I’ll give you a ping @mikeangart

#ARMS!

You might have already seen the livestream but here’s the story break podcast.

Did they break the story? What rating would you give it?

• zero (it broke them).
  • ten (they might have scratched at something, but then buried it under a steaming pile of crap).
  • thirty (direct to DVD).
  • fifty (it could be a real thing, but it would still be pretty bad).
  • seventy (hey this is actually pretty good!).
  • ninety (they broke it).
  • one hundred (they broke the hell out of it! (How is it not yet a thing that’s happening?!).

0 voters

New episode!

#story cubes

This week the guys use some dicey dice to break their story.

• zero (it broke them).
  • ten (they might have scratched at something, but then buried it under a steaming pile of crap).
  • one hundred (they broke the hell out of it! (How is it not yet a thing that’s happening?!).

0 voters

Just listened to ARMS, that was brilliant.
I wonder what they’ll come with with the story cubes, I never managed to make something good with those.

Oh they created something alright!
You seriously won’t beelieve it! And there’s a silly alien again!

JumpDate
Okay, I just listened to Jumper (I don’t listen in order, don’t ask me why :slight_smile:) but I think that I have my own version of the Jumpdate. Plus, I feel that the storyboys never quite finished Jumper.
Cinematic universes are all the rage right? Why not ditch the Jumper’s back story and bring jumper into another lost superhero standalone movie?
I personally thought a Jumper-like superhero (or group of heroes) would fit in nicely with the movie Chronicle. You could have the (spoiler alert) last surviving friend from chronicle, find a group of kids that is a lot like him and his friends that have just found another weird underground alien anomaly and he can be a grizzled loner superhero veteran that is trying to help them take a better path than his friends took. There can also be a part where he shows key parts of the last movie’s tapes and tell a socially awkward teleporter that “This is you! Do you want to end up like this?!?!” which to me seems like a great scene. Plus, resurrecting two superhero movies and combining them to make a shared universe with the prospect of more films to come sounds like a great idea for me. Nearly impossible but still a great idea. It could aslo be a good competitor for the new Cloverfield universe, which started out as a “lost footage” movie but has evolved into a “twilight zone” like movie universe. I thought waaaaaay to much on this one and when they talked about how they had covered all the angles, I was silently arguing with them.
What do you think about this pitch @ShotBotWill?

New episode here:

Suggestion!
You made episodes for Monopoly, Catan… Those are games for lil’ kids! You should adapt a more adult game: Russian Roulette.

Don’t forget to rate the story breakage on the settler a catan story (story break nr. 13)

• zero (it broke them).

0 voters

I’m glad that they have moved on from the little girl and green alien adventures. :laughing: I can’t draw for crap but in my mind, the poster for Catan is a man with a shepherd’s cane, sitting and looking over the edge of the world (where the sidewalk ends style). I’m also thinking that the ground should be green (for sheep) and hexagonal (I hope I spelled that right). The title should totally be The Settler and you could do something like, Leonardo Di Caprio is The Settler or something like that. Overall, a very enjoyable episode. I never thought that the story boys could do serious. :grinning:

Yes ladies and gentlemen, a new week, a new story to break. This week with a special subject expert, brother-extraordinaire Jimmy Wong @jfwong.
Known also as Ted from vghs and from his cohost position on the popular magic; the gathering podcast “the command zone”.
Which brings me to this weeks story-to-be-broken:

#Magic; the gathering.

(And jimmy really does know a shit ton about it!)

• zero (it broke them).

0 voters

It’s great to have guests from time to time (and Jimmy’s Magic knowledges are insane). It was a great episode!
Plus I’m honored to hear that someone remembered my pun from the last episode.

I gotta listen to this…

Dirty Dan? Yes.

next week pinhead larry?

• zero (it broke them).

0 voters

Matt’s Corner mini intro and beardless Will is the reasons why I should have watched this episode instead of just listening to it.

Thank you for the warning before I listen to the audio version!

I assume everybody has their own idea in their head of a movie based off what we’ve heard, and with Dirty Dan I thought I might actually put some of it down instead of it just sitting in my head doing nothing. It might be too long though. I almost feel like this should go in a more dedicated episode 15 topic but I don’t know.

Opening scene is wedding between two rival Yakuza gangs and Dirty Dan breaks up the wedding just like suggested before. Fight breaks out, kinda like the church scene in Kingsman, but the song is “All You Need is Love” and it just cuts to one woman staying calm in the fight, cool as can be, looking right up on the roof at Dirty Dan lighting a cigarette and driving off the roof of the building. And then cuts back to her being gone. Then it does like a voice over of Dirty Dan (picturing Ron Perlman) driving down the road telling his quick backstory: "He wasn’t always like this…he used to be a god, sent to the world to spread love among the humans, but what goods giving live if you can’t have it yourself. [Cut to him and his loving husband back in Ancient Greece] Well at least not forever. Then he explains his lover was killed in the battle of Troy. He was ordered by his mother to make Helen of Troy the legend she was, sparking the war, and after returning to his lover’s home he learns he too was sent off to war and died. After that he swore off love, it destroyed just as much as war/famine and maybe even more. He starts to explain he turned his leftover arrows into bullets and now uses his power of love more like a hitman, and as he starts to describe a mission he crashes. The girl from the wedding, she follows his crashing bike into a nearby empty building, cue epic fight between her (Artemis) and him. He manages to fully disarm her but in the process he runs out of ammo and she steals his backup (a revolver with one bullet, a love bullet) She shoots him, zoom in on epic hammer pull on a bullet with the heart/arrow on the back, he doesn’t die though, he is reminded of the love in the past, and with that he pulls up her bow he disarmed her of, and materializes an arrow of love and shoots her through tearful eyes. She cries, but not in happiness, obviously sad. Her lover, Aphrodite is dying, without her son spreading love throughout the world she’s slowly dying. Artemis explains he needs to return to her, save her. But he can’t, he still blames her for his lover’s death, he explains that he does this now for Hades so he can see his lover for each mission he completes, but that was his final bullet she used on him, and now he realizes that his lover lives on in his memories, not as some shell/ghost in the afterlife. He then tries to make the world better by now spreading the love, now that he understands another part, maybe even features a cheeky cameo in the movie Love-Love. He starts spreading love again, but too much, with love comes revenge and eventually a war breaks out, a war he tries desperately to stop single handed, but he can’t. And in his moment of failure his mother comes to him, shredding her immortal coil to embrace him once more, and with her dying grasp he realizes the truth of the balance of the world, and he returns to the world of the gods and takes her place, knowing all about love, the anger, the sadness, the regret, but most importantly the happiness and the way love can keep someone alive even after death. It’s more like a journey to the west like story.

#player unknown’s battlegrounds

I really enjoyed this one again. Bloody good fun.
Have fun on holiday guys.

Also the mcguffin on the plane wreckage should be player unknown’s trenchcoat.

• zero (it broke them).

0 voters

“All You Need is Love” is a mandatory needle drop for this one. Also I really like Artemis being Aphrodite’s lover! It’s a really great way for her to be a mirror/foil to Dirty Dan - she’s fighting to save the woman she loves, he’s given up on love after heartbreak. Good stuff!

hahaha, you guys are way more generous on this one than I am. The vacation is going well! And thanks for putting these polls together, Jasper!! You’re a prince :slight_smile:

#fly; the Angel song.
based on random Wikipedia articles

I have to admit I really disliked this and couldn’t muster much interest for this for the first half of the episode. But the story break boys turned me around on it. I still don’t know if it would be the kind of movie for me, but I think they did a lot of good things with the character arcs in the end. And they got really far from what they were given as source material.
Idea for a better title “the ey-ngel song” jk I don’t know a better title right now.

• zero (it broke them).

0 voters