Story Break Podcast Discussion

Why is Cupid Gay? Why is this an overarching idea that his love was his husband, I don’t have anything against it, I just don’t understand why, Matt, Freddie and Will did this…

Oops, I meant to post this under Dirty Dan

I just discovered this podcast and love it so far. Three episodes in and I couldn’t help but come up with my own Jumper pitch while listening to it. I’d like to say that I’ve never seen Jumper and all I know about it is what wasn’t discussed in the podcast.

Here’s what I came up with:
What if you pull a Hideo Kojima with the marketing and keep a secret what the actual movie is? What if all marketing shows a movie about this superhero doing cool things with his jumping ability and all, but it’s only a portion of the film. The film begins with the kid getting this superpower and starts using it to live the high life. There’s a montage of him using it for his own benefit, and is basically at the top of the world by the end of it. But that montage is just what’s shown in trailers and stuff. The last show of the montage is him in a situation where he’s in trouble but he just smiles and says something witty and escapes. Cut to black and title screen. Next we see a hooded person running away from a group of people with guns. I’m imagining the intro scene from the Matrix with Trinity running away from the agents. They’re obviously dangerous and dressed in a way that suggests their part of some big organization and this hooded person did something really bad to them. So he’s running away and jumping, not teleporting jumping, but literally jumping from rooftop to rooftop from them and they’re shooting and eventually a bullet hits his leg and falls over, causing his hood to come off and we see it’s the main character. So the audience is like “what? Whys he running and just teleporting away?” And he’s struggling to get up and run away, eventually they catch up to him and he has this defeated look on his face and before they put their hands on him he teleports away.

So my idea is that he gets this jumping superpower but it comes with a price. Similar to the the anime movie The Girl Who slept Through Time, his jumping ability has a limited use. He can only use it a certain number of times, but he doesn’t know that at the beginning because it’s just a power he got. No one gave it to him and explained what it is. So the more he uses it, the more of a strain it puts on his body. So for like two years he was jumping around doing his thing without a care in the world, living the high life, robbing from mob bosses, getting girls, things that we see in the montage. But eventually he realized that this jumping ability is destroying his body. He started to feel some pain at first, then the symptoms got worse to the point that he started having seizures. He knows each use makes it worse and that he will die if he keeps using it. So he gave up living that life, but he’s made a lot of enemies during those two years who are now hunting him down. So he’s been living his life as a vagabond, going from place to place because no matter where he goes they are so powerful and influential around the world that they eventually track him down. So he only uses his jumping ability as last ditch effort. Like he does this time and we cut to him in the middle of a street at night, on the ground having a seizure. He thinks that this time he will die, but from the background we see a pair of headlights. The car stops in front of him and it’s the love interest. She saves him and takes him with her and they form a bond and whatever. He tells him about his powers and how it’s been slowly killing him.
This is where I get a little stuck because I want there to be character, like a scientist or something, that creates a drug that can help him with the seizures. It doesn’t help him staying alive, it just suppresses the symptoms. Maybe the love interest is actually the daughter of the mob guy who is hunting him down and she’s hiding him from her father, and the scientist is part of the organization. He’s like a childhood nerdy friend of hers who secretly loves her. The mob guy, who is essentially the villain, had his science team create this drug because the mob guy also knows the ability is killing the kid. So he wants to capture him and make him work for his organization to do dirty jobs using his ability but what good use is someone with a power that gives him seizures.
At some point the villain finds out about his daughter keeping the kid (I say kid by the way not in in a way that he’s a literally kid, just that he’s a young man and I don’t have a name for him) hidden and sends his men after them. They get trapped with no way out except by getting captured but she sacrifices herself, not literally, just creates a diversion for him to escape without using his power because she doesn’t want him to use it. She doesn’t want him to die. So she creates an opening by letting herself be captured. The nerdy scientist finds out the girl was captured and is being held captive in some facility by her own father and he runs into the kid and is like “what the hell happened??” The kid was looking for him it turns out, because he wants the drug he developed, so he can go save her. But the scientist doesn’t want to because he warns him that the drug doesn’t stop the eventual outcome of death, it just suppresses the symptoms of the jumping. As I mentioned before, like the movie The Girl Who Lept Through Time, the jumping ability only had a finite number of uses. The drug doesn’t extend that number, it just enables him to jump again without having a seizure. Think Old Snake in MGS4 who takes injections to stay alive, or Wolverine in Logan. Eventually the kid convinces the scientist to give him the drug. The kid comes to accept that he’ll die using his jumping ability, as a way to atone for all the bad shit he did during those two years using it, by saving an innocent person who got roped into his mess. He specially feels the need to save her because he knows well the pain of having your own father hurt you.
So the final act is him breaking into this facility. His jumping ability should have limitations, like he can’t just think of a place he’s never been in before and just teleport there. He has to have like visual memory of the place. So the scientist helps him with the layout of the place and since they don’t know exactly where she’s being kept he’s going around all over the place looking for her, causing chaos and stuff. But the drug starts to wear off after a while so with each teleport he’s beginning to feel pain and knows that he’s running out of time.
Eventually he does find her, but her father is there too. The mob boss knew that if his men couldn’t capture him, then he’d have to be in a place where he would go and knew that he would go to her and so he’s holding her at gunpoint or something. There a The Devil’s Advocate like scene where he’s trying to convince the kid to just join him, and if he does he’ll let her go and will give the kid any riches he wants, etc. He feels his heart is in so much pain and has a feeling that the next time he jumps he will probably die and there’s no way to escape without using it. I’m not sure how but somehow he’s able to get to her to touch her and teleport somewhere far away together. He falls to the ground is having the seizure that’s gonna kill him and… he doesn’t die!

Just how we subverted expectations with the marketing, making people think it was a fun Marvel-like superhero movie, we let the main character live because when you give the audience a hero with a death penalty they’ll be expecting him to die. The guys during the podcast came up with the idea that he got his superpower as a way to get away from his horrible father. That same thing that gave him the superpower, whatever it was, fate, god, the universe, whatever, saves him. He redeemed himself. He overused the power he was given to escape his horrible situation by doing selfish things, etc. and he finally at the end used them for someone other than himself. He gave his life to save a person and as he dies in front of this girl and closes his eyes he accepts death, he is granted a second chance. He gets the ability to jump one last time. He suddenly opens his eyes and gasps for air and as he looks around he recognizes where he is without even realizing he’s no longer dying. He’s at the same place he was two years prior when he first teleported. When his father was beating him and he wished he could be far away and he suddenly teleported away, he ended up at a special place he shared with his mom before she died. Some place in a park or something, where they scribbled something on the ground or something. He’s wondering what the hell is happening and realizes he’s wearing different clothes from a minute ago. He finally figured it out. He didn’t just jump somewhere away, he jumped through time. He has been given a second chance to live a better life by being transported back to the time when he escaped his father’s clutches. And the end is a small montage showing that he decided to live a humble life, getting by on hard honest work and ends with him standing at a crosswalk waiting for the walk signal when a kid with parents who aren’t paying attention walks onto the street and is about to get hit by a car. Our hero jumps and grabs the child out of the way and falls to the ground but making sure the child isn’t hurt, and he looks up and sees headlights, realizing that the car actually managed to stop on time and has a feeling he’s seen the front of this car before. The moment is interrupted when the driver gets out of the car to make sure everyone’s okay and when he sees the driver, it’s her. The girl. She’s asking if he’s okay but he’s not even listening because he can’t believe it’s her. She obviously doesn’t know who he is because in this timeline they never met before. He finally pays attention and hears her say "…did you get hurt from jumping?"
He smiles and says “More than you know.” Cut to black and credits!

So, did I break it or no? :stuck_out_tongue:

I mean, why not? I don’t think it makes a big difference to the story. I also think the writers like being a little unconventional with these things, just because they can. And if I remember correctly they were just having fun with it.

thats a lot more in depth than my pitch :slight_smile: Its higher up in this thread.
JumpDate
Okay, I just listened to Jumper (I don’t listen in order, don’t ask me why :slight_smile:) but I think that I have my own version of the Jumpdate. Plus, I feel that the storyboys never quite finished Jumper.
Cinematic universes are all the rage right? Why not ditch the Jumper’s back story and bring jumper into another lost superhero standalone movie?
I personally thought a Jumper-like superhero (or group of heroes) would fit in nicely with the movie Chronicle. You could have the (spoiler alert) last surviving friend from chronicle, find a group of kids that is a lot like him and his friends that have just found another weird underground alien anomaly and he can be a grizzled loner superhero veteran that is trying to help them take a better path than his friends took. There can also be a part where he shows key parts of the last movie’s tapes and tell a socially awkward teleporter that “This is you! Do you want to end up like this?!?!” which to me seems like a great scene. Plus, resurrecting two superhero movies and combining them to make a shared universe with the prospect of more films to come sounds like a great idea for me. Nearly impossible but still a great idea. It could aslo be a good competitor for the new Cloverfield universe, which started out as a “lost footage” movie but has evolved into a “twilight zone” like movie universe. I thought waaaaaay to much on this one and when they talked about how they had covered all the angles, I was silently arguing with them.

Ok, Sonic. . . umm I feel like they were on track with the idea of sonic having to run away with a chaos emerald. In my mind I imagined a scenario where it starts out with just one emerald being stolen by a mysterious entity (Dr. Eggman) and the entire sonic world has to band together by creating an emerald protection team. Since sonic is pretty much a game about running so you could put a cutura emphasis on running in the sonic society so that every city sends their own defender (sonic, tails, amy, etc) and they band together to make a little emerald running convoy so that the emeralds are safe and always on the move. That way, you could have competition between the Bad A’s and sonic trying to be a Bad A which could be cool. There could also be scenes where the convoy gets attacked and the defenders are slowly narrowed down and taken out because they aren’t working together. This is pretty dark for a kids movie but I can totally see an ending where everyone is captured and Dr. Eggman captures sonic to interrogate him on where the last emerald is. Sonic could have a little BS pocket pouch that gets made fun of in the beginning (like the double decker couch in the lego movie) that is hard to find and he can pull a little Samson bible action and call the power of the emerald to destroy the flying fortress at the cost of his own life. You could also have part of sonic’s emerald religion be focused on not using the emerald’s power so in the end, sonic is still giving tude to his culture. He would survive somehow and become the unlikely hero of his society. Oh, and you could have the defender’s identification be little golden rings that they wear. Hows this?

That’s right guys, this week’s story break is about
#sonic

Our favourite, fast going, chillidog munching, blue hedgehog.
There have been many sonic games over the years, with wildly different stories. Can the boys break one of their own in one hour? Can they go fast enough?
Check it out here:

Did they break the story? What rating would you give it?

• zero (it broke them).
  • ten (they might have scratched at something, but then buried it under a steaming pile of crap).
  • thirty (direct to DVD).
  • fifty (it could be a real thing, but it would still be pretty bad).
  • seventy (hey this is actually pretty good!).
  • ninety (they broke it).
  • one hundred (they broke the hell out of it! (How is it not yet a thing that’s happening?!).

0 voters

@ShotBotWill Future Cop: LAPD (PSX 1998)

I thought the idea came after the Jesus craziness. So the lover remained male.

#where is Waldo?

The writers try to answer this question and turn it into a story. But can they find Waldo in one hour?

• zero (it broke them).
  • ten (they might have scratched at something, but then buried it under a steaming pile of crap).
  • one hundred (they broke the hell out of it! (How is it not yet a thing that’s happening?!).

0 voters

the whole time i was just thinking of if it was Waldo & Carmen San Diego

Episode 20 is here!

#Galaxy trucker

(Aka “space frasier”)

• zero (it broke them).

0 voters

#Flo from progressive

yes there’ve been a couple of new episodes and I’ve listened to them all, just forgotten to post them here. They’re all fun and this one is especially progressive. I’m glad they explained what it was about for us international audiences before I listened I thought they had a guest on.

• zero (it broke them).

0 voters

#Steven King’s I.T.

A very topical very weird one this week. If you’ve seen the new It movie don’t worry you have seen nothing like this, there are no spoilers in the movie for this or vice-versa. It was fun seeing as the boys had no idea what they were creating.

• zero (it broke them).

0 voters

This one is crazy!
That’s right everyone, it’s crazy taxi. One from the vault as the breaker boys have their own project to break first.

Personally I feel like they spend too long jumping from thought to thought before committing to an idea. To me every idea sounded like something I’d want to see.

• zero (it broke them).

0 voters