Taking organic sounds and twisting them into the electronic

Hi everyone,

It’s me and, once again, I have a sound related question that I hope you can help me answer.

How do you take organic or real sounds and twist them into the electronical? I’ve lately been downloading a lot of libraries (either free libraries or purchased, I don’t do piracy) and I’ve noticed that there are several sounds that have “real life” origins but that, however, sound really processed, electronic and futuristic and I was wondering how would one go about the process of creating an “electronic sounding” sound that originates from an actual real life recording.

Is it all plugu-ins? What kinds of plugu-ins?

I don’t know, I am honestly lost when it comes to this.

Any ideas?

Also, (and this has nothing to do with the original topic) what are good plug-ins to modulate and mess with sound other than the classic EQs, compressors and the like? I’ve seen @Kevin_Senzaki use “weird” plug-ins to get some really amazing sound! An example of this would be this video in which he experiments with dry ice on metal recordings (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRYuGa0V7fo&t=86s). And finally, are there any good resources out there to learn about plug-ins, stay up to date with what comes out and learn how to use them?

Also, happy Christmas!!

Great question!

So there’s a lot of ways you can achieve this kind of thing, but it’s primarily going to be either software plugins, or physical hardware that plugins are simulating (of the two, software plugins are typically cheaper). A lot of the common tools originate more from the music industry side of things. There’s some “common” classic effects like flangers, phasers, and distortion that have been around for decades, and basically are the building blocks of old-school rock and electronic music.

There’s a ton of companies and people making plugins, but here’s three popular brands. It might be overwhelming at first, but these are some good places to start browsing to get an idea of what’s available! I know Waves has demo videos for a lot of their plugins, and all three may offer demos. They also all probably have mailing lists, which is often how I find out about new releases.
Waves
Native Instruments
Soundtoys

For a couple more specific examples, Absynth can produce some really interesting textures. It comes with a lot of presets, but you can import any sample and then manipulate it to get some interesting, though very unpredictable, results. I used to create a lot of the energy sounds in this short, and Absyth was also used on a sample of an eagle to create this ship from Rogue One.

In kind of a similar fashion, Zynaptiq’s Morph lets you combine two sounds together in ways that can be pretty cool; Mick Gordon used it on the new Doom soundtrack to blend a chainsaw with a guitar.

You can get some really cool textures with Paul’s Extreme Sound Stretch, which is totally free.

There’s tons of stuff out there, but I hope that helps at least as a starting point!

Thanks for your incredibly detailed reply! It’s a good starting point, for sure! I’ll give the plug-ins that you mentioned a look, thanks a lot once more!!