The Last Movie You Watched...and Your Thoughts!

@Kevin_Nguyen @Alex_Machina I approve of you watching these films, they’re both favorites of mine :smiley:

Ok so… Split
I could honestly post a couple of paragraphs about this movie but the TL;DR version is - James McAvoy gave an absolutely amazing performance, I’m not ready to forgive Shyamalan for the atrocity that is A:TLA but he is definitely returned to form with this movie and it’s overall concept. It has some really intense scenes but it was the twist at the end that really sold it for me - (and without getting spoilery) changes the movie completely.

La La Land. Jesus the movie is a work of art.

Yeah, I finally saw it too last week. Really good, I won’t say it was a 10/10 but I really liked it, I’m maybe gonna watch it again.

Finally got to watch Moana. Heard pretty good reviews on it so I decided to watch it myself. To be honest, it was really good. The music for it was well too. The details of the characters were amazing! It was worth the watch. I’ve also been wondering if La La Land is worth watching?

I loved both those movies! Moana is life.

Hell or High Water was awesome!!!

That was such a different movie to what I thought it was going to be - I thought it was going to be more of an action than drama. I can’t really fault it at all it was so well done.
The performances and writing was amazing.

Last week I watched What to expect when you’re expecting, and it surprised me. I thought It was going to be one of those dumb one-liner movies, but it had a lot of heart.

Man… I’m not sure if it’s me or because I saw the “twist” coming from a mile away but I can not in good consciousness recommend The 9th Life of Louis Drax. It was hard to get an in with this movie - it really felt all over the place like it wasn’t sure what it wanted to do except build to the twist and that really detached from the story.
The story itself was ok but I found the characters (especially the main character) hard to relate to especially in regards to their motivations.

Finally watched “Deathgasm”. I enjoyed the hell out of it! Lots of laugh, lots of blood, lots of gore, and has the best use of sex toys I’ve seen so far! LOL :smiley: I regret not seeing it on the big screen. I think the people behind the film were having some really good fun, and went all out with it. Horror-comedy isn’t my usual cup of tea, but I make exception for this one, because it was refreshing, and a lot of fun to watch :smiley: I’m looking forward to “Deathgasm Part 2: Goremageddon”.

Edge of Tomorrow. Damn shame that Tom Cruise lost the war with the internet. As an action star, he still kicks a comparable amount of butt to when he was in Top Gun. No hyperbole there either.

Ohhhhh do I have some saucy garbage for you this week: Deadtime Stories, a completely insane 1986 horror anthology with some fairy tale flavoring! This is a one-of-a-kind movie in which you will be guaranteed human sacrifice, 80s hair, psychic murder sprees, an air mattress, and the most ridiculous police shootout I’ve ever seen on film. If you’re in the mood for a movie that shows off the beautiful indie horror boom of the 1980s in all of its rubbery, gaudy, stupid insanity, this is probably one of the best. Get some friends and some booze and pop it in for one of the cheesiest good times you could possibly hope for

Some gore - you have been warned

I finally saw studio ghibli’s grave of the fireflies last Saturday, I had been putting off watching it for a long time. It was beautiful, and in it’s small victories joyful and in the end sad. I don’t see a lot of movies that end this way, and I understand why, but I think is really good that there are at least some. Definitely not my favorite ghibli film, but it’s good.

Then yesterday I saw miss Sloane which is about a DC lobbyist who has a track record for success, taking on an opponent who appears Goliath-like.
and I thought it was really good. Mainly because it just kept me on the edge of my seat and had me invested in what was happening through every moment. There is something oddly fascinating in watching a war of tactics play out. And they succeeded in upholding that tension that this is really a battle that cannot be won.

Have you seen Phantasm (1979)? You should see Phantasm. Looks like a similar vein of bonkers horror.

Oh man! I watched Jeremiah Johnson this weekend. It is a 1972 Sydney Pollack movie starring Robert Redford as a world weary mountain man carving out life along the Rockies from Colorado to Canada. It was spectacular, and seemed like a major influence for movies like The Revenant. It is beautifully still and quiet, but full of deep, complicated feelings. Pollack described it as “… a picture made out of rhythms and moods and wonderful performances.” I will be thinking about this one for a long time.

I cried for two hours after seeing Grave of the Fireflies, literally. One of those movies I find too painful to watch twice.

I cried too…but it’s a beautiful movie. For me, the fact that a film can affect me that much is a credit (I think that’s why I’m such a horror nut - it gives a visceral emotional response)

It’s a miracle! I watched a comedy with actors you’ve actually heard of as opposed to the “deeper cuts” I usually favor. Be Kind Rewind is a giant love-letter to all the struggling artists out there. The plot is your classic ‘Muppet’ structure with a team of quirky friends who have big dreams but small pockets, get into trouble with creditors, and hatch a ridiculous scheme to raise the money and save their video store with the power of friendship.

It’s full of life, covered in movie references, and the characters are a lot of fun to spend your evening with. It’s not going to change your life, but it’s so charming that it’s virtually guaranteed to leave you with a big smile when the credits roll.

Alien 3 - and I now realize I will never understand the Alien fandom because 2 is universally loved…and that one nearly put me to sleep. While this one is universally reviled, and I thought it was a kickass 90s sci fi slasher with great effects, a very good cast (including young Tywin Lannister), a compelling plot, and some really decent scares.

Alien is a straight horror movie, and this one follows in its footsteps really nicely…it confuses me that the second film (an action movie) tends to be seen as more definitive.