The Last Movie You Watched...and Your Thoughts!

I also saw GotG v2, and I also got a little misty at the end. There are some complaints…mainly that the story is all over the place for the first hour, the script thinks it’s more clever than it actually is, and a lot of the character development falls for the ‘tell don’t show’ trap. Still, for all that I could say against this movie, the ending is so absolutely pitch perfect that I’ll forgive it for everything else. They gather up all the themes of the series, tie them up with a bow, and do it all to a fabulously expensive bit of licensed music. Good show, guys…good show.

However, I don’t sit for the post-credit sequences…Marvel is very Pavlovian with that “stay for the credits” nonsense, and I’m not going to reward them for ringing a bell in my face.

"You’re still here? It’s over! Go home!"

Edit: Actually, maybe this would be more appropriate: "You’re expecting Samuel L. Jackson to show up with an eye-patch and a saucy little leather number?"

Black Belt Jones (1974)

http://www.internalbleeding.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/black-belt-jones-9.jpg

Blaxploitation cinema is a time capsule…it records a very specific moment in both film history and American history. This is exploitation film, so we’re guaranteed a little of the old ultra violence, but it’s also filled to the brim with influence from the black power movement, second wave feminism, and Marxism. It preserves a snapshot of a particular music, fashion, and dialect that existed for a moment and then vanished in the social aether…Oh and we haven’t even gotten to the movie!

Jim Kelly is most famous for Bruce Lee’s swan song Enter the Dragon, and he made a decent living starring in B movies. Three such films came out in 1974 (a year after Lee’s death); this is one of them, and it’s not half bad! The story moves along at a reasonable pace, the characters are memorable, the fights are fun, and it’s over in 90 minutes. Even though the film itself doesn’t seem particularly remarkable, the place it occupies in history makes it worth tracking down. They absolutely do not make 'em like this anymore!

The whole storytelling business relies on emotional manipulation, so I don’t see adding extra bits to the end-credits as something negative, on the contrary, I cherish Marvel’s attempt to provide more fun content be it teasing a next movie or just random stupid shit. Avengers would be less without that silent eating shot, brilliant bit of comedy grounding the heroes, seeing them after they did their job, paying off Tony’s remark in the movie, and it wouldn’t have really worked elsewhere with the need of finishing the movie on a high note with lots of interest manipulating. That was the perfect place for a gag like this. Video Games love this formula of having an epilogue after the end credits, Telltale even made fun of skipping the credits when they coupled it with a “Telltale will remember this” text if you skipped it which is their trademark system for emotional feedback in their games.

So why a manipulation like this is worse than any other in cinema? Especially when it provides extra bit of content for you to enjoy. Just because it’s not part of the classic ruleset of tricking the audience or not part of the overall narrative? It’s new, it’s exciting, and I would love to see more and more, 5 is a great start. And yeah, if it manipulates even one person to watch the end credits and maybe listen to the score it was well worth it.

I have to admit that I almost always watch the end credits anyway, so they can try and pavlov me all they want, I’m with them :smiley: The end credits sequence is usually the best, and sometimes the only way to listen to the highlights of the score of the film in high fidelity surround without any fuss, so it’s always a treat (what I do hate is when they use licensed songs for the end credits and not the original score), and I recommend this practice to anyone who loves movies. I’m not ashamed that I’m Pavloved by the music :smiley:

Lastovie watched Boss Baby.

Thoughts? The things I watch as a parent …

So I FINALLY watched Suicide Squad the other day… Yes the movie is a bit of a mess BUT that being said if you look at it as the DeadShot Harley Quinn intro movie it isn’t too bad. Katana just appearing they probably the most uneasy character entry in the movie she just appears and someones like “she’s got my back so watch out” but it does kinda pull it together in the end and I think its a decent movie if you see it without the hype of being VS Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jake! Good to see you here again mate!

Thanks man! I know its been quite awhile hahaha

Jurassic Park III (2001)

The first JP movie is really a classic, so Lost World might have been doomed to fail anyway, but it certainly doesn’t help that JP 2 is a horrible movie. The third film - then - was met with quite a bit of skepticism. Unfortunate since this movie is actually pretty excellent. It’s not going to change your life, but everything here works really well. From the pacing to the script to the special effects, it knows what it is and delivers everything you wanted to see from awesome dinosaurs to compelling characters, fanservice, and all the rest.

If you’re ever at the local video store with no idea what to watch, go find Jurassic Park III; every movie store has it, it’s never checked out, and it’s a cool popcorn munching time for the whole family.

Two things definitely did this movie in for me when I saw it: one, my boy T-REX getting dunked on by the Spinosaurus in the first 20 minutes was deeply upsetting. Two: raptor whistle. But maybe I should give this one a revisit! It’s been forever and forever since I saw it. I’ve noticed I tend to be way harsher on dumb-but-fun monsterpaloozas on my first time watching them - I had a similar reaction to Pacific Rim, HATED it the first time I saw it, but adored it on a rewatch.

That was one of the funniest movies I’ve seen in awhile.

I definitely had a couple of problems with it…SPOILERS for a 16 year old movie if anyone cares:

(1) Weak ending: It just sort of ends…the Marines show up, they get in a non-crashing aircraft, and leave the island. That was a perfect opportunity for a massive Plesiosaurus to rise from the ocean and blow everything up. Horror movie 101: You are never safe.

(2) Body count abuse: There are only so many characters you’re ‘allowed’ to kill in a story like this, so they’re like arcade tokens: If you throw 3 of them into one game, you run out of fun WAY faster. They wear out their body count almost immediately by killing off all the Red Shirts during the plane crash.

(3) T-rex v. Spinosaurus: One of the greatest moments in the first movie is when they’re surrounded by raptors and T-rex busts in to the rescue with theme music swelling. It’s OK for spinosaurus to be stronger, but - like the body count economics - they wasted some potential by not saving the spinosaurus for later. If T-rex terrorized them for the first half and then got supplanted by spinosaurus in the second, I think it would be a lot better for the story.

I like the raptor box though…it’s not AT ALL realistic, but - as a writer - I can appreciate the setup at the beginning followed by the payoff at the end. As goofy as it sounds, I would have been down with MORE raptor box. They could have used it throughout the film!

The Toolbox Murders (1978)

Released the same year as Halloween, this cult classic is the transitional fossil between 70s exploitation cinema and the slashers which would come to define the following decade. It’s an exploitation film with a capital X…no shortage of sex or violence here. It’s not particularly shocking as far as these things go (for they go very, VERY far), but make no mistakes about what you’re getting into: It isn’t Bambi. It’s also not anything else…The Toolbox Murders is a very unique movie which has been copied a lot but never recaptured. There are vast chunks of the movie with no dialog and vast chunks of dialog that are implied but never spoken. Also - spoiler free - but the ending is one of the best “show-don’t-tell” moments I’ve ever seen.

Shocking, strange, a little cheap, and a lot crazy, this film is neither a Grindhouse flick nor a slasher…it’s their precise intermediate. An absolute must-see for anyone with an affliction for horror.

The new pirates of the caribean; salazar’s revenge (dead men tell no tales).
A pretty well made film that fails to stay interesting. To me it felt, just like with the previous instalment of the pirates series, that a larger narative is missing. To me the first three films worked better because they were connected, part of a bigger narative. On their own these newer films seem a little flat. Maybe because they make the antagonists seem too powerful, whereas in previous films you could still stand up to them a bit more, it seems that every encounter only ends well if you’re a main character. I’d still say go watch it and see for yourself, but it’s failed to convince me that it was interesting to watch.

@Exquisite_Corpse, @ShotBotWill :

I have to disagree on The Lost World being a horrible movie. At least it is miles ahead of JP3 in my eyes. What you say works in 3 I say works in 2. Different tastes and opinions I guess. I could hardly watch 3, but was almost always on the edge of my seat in 2. I definitely agree that 3 knows what it is and doesn’t take itself too seriously, which can be seen as positive, I liked Malcolm’s and 2’s subtle dry wit humour more, and for me the character of him, Sarah, Eddie, and even the hunter was way more compelling than any from 3, I only remember Alan’s egg guy friend because he played the main guy’s striker buddy in the movie Goal :smiley: And yeah, I hated the way they treated the T-Rex, it was really a fan-disservice rather than fanservice, but again, these are all subjective. 2 has these stupid moments, like killing a raptor using poles and athletic swings and the whole San Diego bit is dividing to say the least, and it throws the pacing off by having another high intensity ending after basically having it already in the raptor escape scene on the island, but I personally loved it. It dared to be different than 1, it dared to have its own atmosphere.

But what really differentiates 2 from 3 is the music. The score for The Lost World is like a secret gem among the John Williams community, full of musical high points sometimes left alone by the dividing nature of the film. I dare say that in places it’s better than the first score. Again, it dared doing something completely different. As this took place on another island, Williams mostly abandoned the iconic 2 themes from the first movie, only hinting them here and there to finally burst it out in the finale scene of the movie to a satisfying conclusion. He established a set of atmospheric orchestrations that really works and stands out, the percussion work is especially sublime, always pumping in the background or the foreground, never letting you forget that it’s an abandoned tropical island this time and nature is always there around you. And how he complements this with some amazing brass work is among the best he’s ever written. And then 3 completely abandoned all this and went back to the methodologies of the first score despite 3 taking place on the same island as 2. It was Don Davis this time, so no JW, and he did a good job, really professional and enjoyable score, but nothing special, more like a rehash of JP1s success without any of its own highlights (he kind of “meh”s up the most iconic theme with an unnecessary variation, something even Giacchino on Jurassic World wouldn’t dare to do)

This is one of my favourite scenes from 2, I saw this in a theatre when I was 9 (interestingly, JP1 was the first ever movie I saw in a theatre when I was 5 :smiley: ), and I was literally on the edge of my seat the whole time, after all these years, it’s still full-on Goosebumps for me hearing it and seeing it. Just listen to how the music reacts to what’s happening while maintaining a perfect flow, how the bells signal doom when the dinos arrive, and how satisfying is the swelling strings and fanfare brass build-up at the end.

@Jasper_Cloud :

It doesn’t help the movie that Johnny Depp is really on a negative downwards spiral nowadays, he has so much controversial stuff about his personality lately (like abuse issues) that this almost reeks of desperation on his part at this point, and it’s extra hard to be sympathetic about any of the characters. Yeah, they’re pirates, so they’re the scum of the Earth either way, but Johnny Depp himself doesn’t help it at this point :smiley: I’m still gonna see it eventually, if nothing else, the music will keep me interested :smiley: But Wonder Woman is way higher on my list right no, that’s the first DCU film I’m actually looking forward to see.

Tusk (2014)

One of Kevin Smith’s less popular children, Tusk is not necessarily for the mainstream audience. The earmarks of not-so-silent-Bob are all over it: Quirky dialog, penis jokes, irreverent but heartfelt characters - all present and accounted for. But it’s also unmistakably a horror movie, so if you went in thinking “Mall Rats was worth a few yucks, let’s see what this one’s about!” you were definitely in for a rude awakening.

If you’re able to accept that you’re not getting a lighthearted stoner comedy, there’s a lot to recommend this hidden jewel. Very few movies possess the ability to make you laugh, cry, and turn away in disgust all at the same time. There are some pacing issues…several of the dialog sequences could have been trimmed 30%, and the detective character could deliver his lines a little faster (you’ll see what I mean), but - overall - Tusk is the right kind of ‘different’. Tragic, hilarious, stomach churning, and unforgettable.

The Man With the Golden Arm (1955)

One of those ‘movie nerd’ features that every film school kid raves about but no one else has heard of, The Man With the Golden Arm deals with drug addiction, gangs, codependence, poverty, and their relationships to one another. It’s most famous for ducking the censorship of its time by simply releasing without an MPAA rating. The American ratings body (which still soft-censors films today) wouldn’t stand for a movie that explicitly shows heroin use and infidelity, so the filmmakers simply stopped seeking their approval. This tactic would be instrumental to the exploitation era of the 1970s, but we’re not there yet.

At its heart, this movie is about dependence in its many forms. Each of the main characters has their own ‘addiction’ for which they march themselves into hell - knowing the consequences but marching all the same. If you’re in it for the stars, Frank Sinatra and Kim Novak deliver some of their best performances. If you’re in it for the history, the tale of American film censorship cannot be told without this movie. If you’re in it for the writing, this screenplay has it all. And if you’re just in it for the movies, this is one hell of a flick.

Everyone on earth recommends this movie, and so do I. What a fantastic piece of artistry!

Cool Runnings (1993)

A true story inspired fairly typical underdog sports movie with almost every trope of the genre present, but still, there is so much feelgoodness and love in it that it’s still on the top of my list (who doesn’t love a great underdog story? Apart from President Snow of course :smiley:). As a not too skillful fat kid growing up this movie helped a lot building up at least a little of my self-esteem and confidence about sports. I loved watching, I loved playing, I was just handicapped and nobody took me seriously, not unlike what these unlikely heroes had had to experience (to be honest, in real life, the other teams were more than happy to help them along the journey, but here it was dramatized in a way that the other, more traditional winter teams were hostile to them at first). So in a way, the spirit of a Jamaican bobsled team -which couldn’t have been more different than my own Hungarian culture- inspired me to see myself in a better light. It’s also one of the last movies of John Candy.

Oh, and great collection of feelgood reggae songs, coupled with a simple, partially ethnic inspired, partially Williams-esque Olympic-fanfare inspired score by Hans Zimmer.

It was so lovely to revisit this childhood classic again in lights of the more recent Eddie the Eagle, which is a similar “true” story funnily from the same 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics :smiley:

I watched this movie while I was in the states and enjoyed it very much as well. As I did also with Eddie the eagle, which I saw in theaters no less than three times.

Just noticed Netflix had Doctor Strange and Miss Perigrins Home for Peculiar Children.

Dr Strange was solid. A good romp with awesome doubkebafter credit sequences.

Miss Perigrins Home for Particular Children on the other hand … cpd after cpd after cpd … the visuals were great but the script was horrenduous.