The Last Movie You Watched...and Your Thoughts!

Black Cat, White Cat (1998)

The Serbian roma feelgood gangster movie. This is one of the biggest cult films for us Hungarians (and I can imagine, to Serbians :smiley:) , it’s such a unique take on the love of life, money, love, music, and the things all human beings crave from the weird mind of Emir Kusturica.

It takes place in the 90s, between wars in a true Balkan setting during a shortage of fuel, and a high rate of smuggling. Matko Destanov, a small-time roma smuggler and profiteer, lives with his teenage son Zare in a ramshackle house by the Danube River in eastern Serbia near the Bulgarian border.

He has plans to acquire a whole train of smuggled fuel, which he finds at cut-price. To obtain a loan that would subsidize the heist, he visits Grga Pitić, a wheelchair-using old gangster, who’s an old friend of Zarije Destanov, Matko’s father and Zare’s grandfather. Matko then plots the details of the job with an ally named Dadan, a rich, “fun”-living, drug-snorting gangster who has a harem, juggles grenades, and cheats at gambling. However, Dadan double-crosses him and glitches up the deal…

We also follow his son Zare, and Ida, the granddaughter of a restaurant owner lady Sujka, finding love in their own unique way which is then threatened by the dealings of Zare’s father.

It’s a wild ride with awesome-awesome music built into the world of the movie itself, it presents a different, harsh, unforgiving world while also shows us that you can enjoy life, and love ultimately conquers money. So it’s an age-old tale with a unique Eastern European viewpoint and a love-letter to music. There are still concerts over here that features this movie’s music, the whole genre is still popular here.

That scene with a pig eating a Trabant is the image that perfectly describes the mood and world of the movie, it’s maybe the most iconic imagery from it.

Maybe it won’t have the cultural or nostalgic impact for you, but if you can find a version with English subtitles, I highly recommend checking it out, seeing a different part of the world through the lens of entertainment, it might widen your perspective of the world.

Also, a pig does eat a Trabant in it:

I actually haven’t seen this one yet, I know it’s supposed to be famous, I was somehow more into British romcoms like Notting Hill and Love Actually, the one American romcom that I do remember from my childhood is You’ve got mail, but because I was an advocate of this new thing called Internet, and I wanted it to be a big thing over here in Hungary :smiley: I actually still like that movie, but I guess I should check this out as well.

I adored the Fifth Element as a kid, haven’t rewatched in a while, so I might remember it wrong, but as a kid it was all-out fun from start to finish, from me having a crush on Milla Jovovich to Chris Tucker’s spiel (I hope I’m using the right word :smiley:) to some badass effects and settings for the time, I only have fond memories of it.

@VideoVigilantes
I just have to chime in that I wouldn’t call this a score, more like literally a soundtrack, there almost isn’t any musical/melodic elements, it’s almost more like sound design than a score. I’m not saying that it’s bad, it’s completely built upon rhythmically building up tension and a constant aura of dread/pressure of time. The electronic sounding siren-like effect in Supermarine is especially meta as it reminds us to the actual sirens used to indicate danger in wartime, but also blends in with the soundscape of the whole soundtrack. The whole thing feels like as the rhythm and tempo was considered by them from day 1.

Thanks for clearing that up, I use score and soundtrack interchangeable a lot, so this was actually really helpful!

Lion (2016)

Visually well-executed film and an amazing, emotional true story.

Despicable Me 3 (2017)

As always with Despicable Me, it’s a fun movie. I enjoyed it, but a few points I felt let it down slightly:

• Dru’s character was inconsistent.
  • They didn’t have much choice, but the girls’ voices were too old for their characters.
  • The film should not have set up for another one. Three is plenty. But who can blame them, they’ll make tons from Minion merch!

Mean Girls (2004)

I hate this movie so much that I feel the need to tell others how much I hate it. The characters are one-dimensional (if that), their motivations make no sense, and absolutely every conflict in the entire movie could have been easily avoided if ONE person decided to behave like a human being instead of a flesh-eating girlmonster. There are lots of actual monsters on film who are more sympathetic and better developed than these characters.

And since there is no alien invasion or murder to solve, you’ll be spending 90 minutes with these awful characters watching them be awful to each other…why this is considered an important piece of feminist filmmaking, I will never understand.

The Italian Job (1969)

Since it’s impossible not to compare this movie to its remake, I’ll go ahead and get it out of the way: This one’s better - WAY better. So much better that it makes me wonder why they even bothered to give the 2003 movie the same name. Except for the fact that both of them use mini coopers in the escape sequence, they’re nothing alike; the plots-lines are just very different.

This film is impossible to understand outside the context of the James Bond craze…we’ve got a thirty-something British playboy who walks on the wild-side doing what he does best (in this case, stealing) and netting some bikini girls in the process. It’s not deep, but it’s lots of fun, and the driving stunts are really out-of-this world. Out of all the heist movies I’ve watched lately, I have to say that this is one of the better ones, but the hypermasculinity of the genre simply holds it back.

Still, that cliff hanger ending is magnificent, and you won’t be sorry you watched this one.

No love for Kevin G, Janis Ian, or Damien?

At the very least, I think his character is a lot more three dimensional than a lot of the ones you see in high school movies, simply because of the actor’s performance.
“SHE DOESN’T EVEN GO HERE.”

The original Italian Job, also, very nice.

Watched War for The Planet of The Apes over the weekend and without getting into spoilers it was incredible. Such a great way to wrap up the trilogy.
Andy Serkis deserves so much more recognition for his portrayal of Ceasar - not just in this film but the series. The CGI was flawless, again.
I read reviews before I went in so was expecting to have some issues with a character but didn’t have as many as I thought I would have.

I also saw Love Actually recently and I spent more time trying to piece together how the stories were connected than I did enjoying the film.

With regards to Love Actually, would you have enjoyed it if you weren’t trying to figure out how the stories went together? It’s on my list of movies to watch. Is it confusing?

A Boy and His Dog (1975).

The most boring film about an apocalyptic wasteland I have ever seen.
Don Johnson’s acting was good though.

Re: Love Actually - I think it’s just because RomComs are really hit and miss with me. I think it’s still an enjoyable watch it just didn’t live up to the expectations that people talked it up to.

I totally understand. I’m curious, what rom coms do you like? :slight_smile:

The Princess Bride is a classic to me and the only one that really comes to mind right now.

Saw drive two days ago. Stylistically very strong and I loved the sound design. They were awesome at creating palpable silence.

Blade Runner (1982) – The Final Cut

This was my first viewing of this cult classic cyberpunk/sci-fi/noir movie, so it was a weird, but ultimately an objective experience as I didn’t have any prior emotional bias.

The mood, the universe it’s in is exceptional, it looks lived in, realistic, it deserves all the praise it still gets in that regard. And the music is maybe the biggest part in that. Vangelis’ score is moody, iconic, a bit retro sounding that really tells you about what time period it’s from, classic stuff even at first listen.

I also liked the gritty morality about the replicants, it raises some heavy existential questions, and there weren’t any good or bad characters. In that regard it even went a bit far in my eyes with its “love” story/scene, I don’t know what the purpose was for that rape scene apart from Deckard being horny and forcingly “convincing” the only innocent character in the movie. I felt pretty uncomfortable about that just as I couldn’t justify the replicants’ killing spree even with the pity you could feel for them for being fucked up existentially. But I guess that was intentional, I felt like this was never intended to be a pleasant, or optimistic story, but an existential detective noir, and they did succeed in that regard.

Now I have to check out the sequel while the experience is still fresh, and possibly other cuts of this as there are many :smiley:

The sequels better than the original in my opinion! Harsh words but I’m just putting that out there!

I’ve been using an app called letterboxd lately, where you can log and review the movies you’ve watched and see what your friends are watching and what they think of it. Or what you’ve been watching (maybe someone asked if you’ve seen any interesting films lately. Forgot the title? Check your log or even show them.)

It’s also encouraged me to think about the movies I’ve just watched and to put my thoughts into words; a good practise.

I’ll be putting some of my logs/reviews here from time to time and I encourage anyone to give the app a try. I’d love to see what movies you guys watch and your thoughts on them.

You can follow me on there: Jasper_Cloud

letterboxd

COCO

My ★★★★★ review of Coco on Letterboxd https://boxd.it/lXLhb

Oh Pixar, how you always get me involved in your stories, no matter how simple they may be. How you always stun me with your beautifully polished animations. How you always interest me in and show me other cultures. How you always remind me that I love my family.

This film is vibrant, colourful, funny, deep and truely every frame of animation impresses me with the love of its many creators for their art and this story.
And the story is expressed magnificently as well and is never pushed to the background to give the stage to a the unimportant antics of a character, an out of place joke, a song just to have a song; everything you see is in support of the story. This makes the story the picture, sharing in its vibrance, colour and love.

I laughed, I was awed, I cried and I enjoyed myself from the first second of Mexican style music in the opening titles, to the final curtain after the credits. And I did so more than any movie in recent times that I can remember.

Mucho amor

Homaigoodness.

I LOVE Letterboxd! It helps me keep track of all the films I’ve just watched, and hope to watch in the future (and a place to get crazy with my film analysis :slight_smile: ). See you on there soon!

Ohhhhh it is Star Wars time, and The Last Jedi is good…really good…surprisingly good. I wrote an actual review here: https://medium.com/@magicallyjessicaeve/let-the-past-die-kill-it-if-you-have-to-the-last-jedi-1e9612994f71

Shorter version: The story is kind of big, and there are a lot of characters, but they’ve managed to keep all of these moving parts in connection with one another. If you’re a writer wondering how to juggle four stories all at once, this is a pretty superb study…I am 100% not capable of writing something this big without it getting out of control. To that point, there is an entirely extraneous sequence that could actually be removed without harming the plot…not even this movie can run so many plot threads without getting tangled on the way.

The character work is really good here…it’s cheeseball genre faire, but sometimes it’s easier to talk about intense, emotional topics in a hyper-exaggerated space opera than in a more realistic setting. This movie pulls you in with stupid laser fights and then sits you down to talk about failure, loss, and what it means to be ‘good’. It didn’t have me in tears, but I ate up every stupid spoonful of this surprisingly smart film. Come for the space ships, stay for the drama, and leave the theater as one with the Force. Truly a joy to watch.