WARNING MAJOR SPOILERS! THOUGHTS: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

WARNING SPOILERS
The newest instalment of Star Wars was released in many countries this morning. I went to the midnight screening (obviously :stuck_out_tongue: )
And I was just wondering what everyone else though of it.

Guys, please don’t read if you haven’t seen the movie yet as we will be sharing our thoughts on what happened.
SCROLL DOWN
SCROLL DOWN
SCROLL DOWN

SCROLL DOWN
The newest instalment of Star Wars was released in many countries this morning. I went to the midnight screening (obviously :stuck_out_tongue: )
And I was just wondering what everyone else though of it.

I will post my response soon, after I have though about it a bit more.

Here is a template for your feedback:

My Thoughts

PROS:
[Write Text Here]
CONS:
[Write Text Here]
Favourite Scene:
[Write Text Here]
Least Favourite Scene:
[Write Text Here]
Other Thoughts:
[Write Text Here]
RATING
[Place Rating Here eg. (8/10) ]

My Thoughts

Since this is a film school forum, i think i will stay away from oppinions of star wars in general, and talk more about the actual filmmaking of it.

PROS:
Star Wars the Force awakens, really held a good story, always kept you involved, and as it had alot to complete with from the previous films, i think it pulled it off very well.
As far as the story goes, they were strong, and they pleased fans, but they werent afraid to take chances e.g. (Killing off solo) i think in story telling it really paid off well.
CONS:
I will have to edit, because at this moment, i dont seem to have many cons, seeing as i only watched it last night, i think i will have to let it settle. one thing i noticed, is that even with the vastness of space and the world, the story seemed pretty confined, like it felt small as a story, not that that is necessarily a Con.
(**Also, the ‘Death star planet thing’ was steeling energy from the SUN? isnt our star the only one called the sun? am i wrong about that? or where they steeling from our sun?
Favourite Scene:
The Bitter sweetness of Han and Ren on the bridge. i felt it was a good scene. but it also made me sad, for obvious reasons.
Least Favourite Scene:
The little orange lady? she was allright, i just felt like she was a little out of place. then again, i liked the flashbacks that rey had been having about luke.
Other Thoughts:
Someone i listen to on a podcast had been talking about how this film shouldnt be so in awe of itself that it was so dramatic when bringing back old characters. at the end, when it shows luke, it was a little dramatic, but the thing is that , they were setting that up the whole film, so i was okay with it.
RATING
(8)

A star that is the center of a solar system is called a sun; therefore, many if not the majority of stars are suns. In casual speech, I’d say the difference is at a distance we refer to them as stars, but once you get close enough that their heat/light has direct effect, it’s referred to as a sun.

I agree with you on that… I’m not sure, that this is a con, because it was so intense that you don’t actually have time to think about something else.

Let’s try free-type post :smile:

When I saw Starkiller base…I’m like «What? 3d Death star?» and that trench scene…I felt like I already saw that somewhere.

And what about powering from a star…Sure, I can be wrong, but when that base taking mass from it, this will destabilise it, star can become dwarf(depending on the size and age) or it should get bigger and bigger(because of fusion reaction will be more powerful than gravity) and we will end up with red giant star…but okay, let’s assume that they have technology to control such a big gravity force. But then they stack all that mass in a small planet…that amount of mass will end up with super nova explosion and neutron star or black hole(If the star was big enough). But again I heard about they cooling system…let’s assume that First Order has tech to control Super Nova amount of energy(Even sounds hilarious).
And few more physical or logical issues that was forgotten for better action(Single TIE Fighter that blow up turbolasers of Cruiser…seriously? Who designed that ships? :sweat_smile: ). But if you ask me, I think it’s worth it.

Some moments like «Hm…interesting, how Solo will get out…they not gonna kill him in this story for sure» and then boom! That was mind blowing. And the ending gave that interesting final touch.

Anyway I’m not gonna rate it, because I really enjoyed it. After I left hall…I thought about buying new ticket, because it felt like you’re back to a place, that you’ve been long time ago. «Chewie we’re home»

My Thoughts

PROS:
The new cast is absolutely fantastic! Daisy Ridley is MVP along with John Boyega and Adam Driver. BB-8 was so good I’m not even mad that C-3PO and R2 weren’t in it pretty much at all. The moment when Rey grabs up the lightsaber was one of the most uplifting/empowering/breathtaking film moments of the year, along with the ensuing fight, easily top duels for the series alongside Duel of the Fates and I am your Father.
CONS:
All the new cast is great, but Oscar Isaac/Poe Dameron and Gwendoline Christie/Captain Phasma do almost nothing in the film besides bark orders. And the trash compactor joke was dumb. The film as a whole was way too nostalgia-driven (Another Death Star? Really?). None of the space battles did it for me either. No geography for the dogfights or characterization for anybody other than Poe. I also think that they should have focused more on Luke or Han, not split it.
Favourite Scene:
The Rey force-grabbing scene, and when Han dies, even though I think it gets a little muddled with the space battle and everything else.
Least Favourite Scene:
All of the space fights, the planning to destroy Death Star 3, and the silly “refusal of the call” with Rey in the forest near Maz Kanata’s place.
Other Thoughts:
If JJ’s by-the-books nostalgia trip sets up Rian Johnson and Gareth Edwards to do some crazy stuff in VIII, it was all worth it.
RATING
On a scale from Attack of the Clones to Empire Strikes Back, I’d say it earns a solid The Force Awakens. I kid, I kid. I absolutely love maybe 60-80% of this movie, but I think it still ranks slightly below Return of the Jedi.

My Thoughts

First off, im not the biggest fan of star wars, i watched the films once when i was little. so my expectations going into this film were on the line of if its good, its good i dont care. the trailer looked cool so i thought why not.

ALSO did you guys know that Daniel Craig was the storm trooper who Rey used her mind powers on i didnt.

PROS:
Lots of nostalgia, there were some great characters, lots of space for expansion.
CONS:
Even without being spoilt i knew what was going to happen, it was too obvious, there were some characters who seemed to be there as just a plot device aka fynn. i feel they could of fleshed his character out a bit more, give him more reason to want to leave other than, he was scared.
Favourite Scene:
All scenes with BB-8 and Fynn being hillarious and Rey grabbing the lightsaber.
Least Favourite Scene:
When Han dies, not that his death couldn’t of been good, i just think they could of done it better. not just a bratty child throwing a fit. also when the ground splits in-between Rey and Ben was a bit much of a coincidence.
Other Thoughts:
i feel they played it safe. too safe in some parts all though there were some cringe moments very few. its serves to be a great film.
RATING
I’d give this film 6.5/10 just because of the seemingly pointless character of fynn. although he was great in the film, it just seemed like he didn’t really need to be there and just served as a plot device to save the resistance. also there were some scenes that annoyed me. the scene at the end with luke. Rey not awnsering the call, and if luke didnt want to be found why did he make a map in the first place?

RedRocket let me know about this thread (thanks!):smile:

I recorded my thoughts as part of a podcast type thing with my friend:

Short sum up answers:
Pro: fun fun fun, jokes!
Con: coincidences for days
Fav Scene: the sun goes out when SPOILERS an important character dies

Thanks for clearing that up!

yeah all stars are suns just so far away they look small. our sun is small in comparison to some stars

PROS: Amazing return the franchise, breathtaking effects, cinematography, and design–just a dazzling film altogether. This has to be Abrams’s second-best film. There’s a lot of funny jokes too and I loved the dynamic between Han Solo and Leia. Rey, Finn, and Poe Dameron were good too but…
CONS: I hope our new trio of heroes get more development in the next movie, ESPECIALLY Poe Dameron who deserves more screentime. Captain Phasma didn’t need to be there (I’m gonna get so much hate for saying that). The film felt rushed sometimes and I think there should be more background story and explanation.
FAVORITE SCENE: (am I the only one around here who spells things the American way?) Han Solo confronting Kylo Ren. It was spoiled for me by some brat on a Minecraft user (to avert this, me and another Minecraft user said it didn’t happen so it wouldn’t be ruined for everyone else). I thought it was a interesting nod to the original (except with the roles reversed–not only the father/son dynamic, but this time the villain is more emotional, a bit like Luke Skywalker in a way…). It was so sad watching this scene. You could tell Kylo Ren didn’t want to kill Han. And then Han stroked his son’s face one last time before he fell. Not only that, I love the overhead shot of Han boarding the bridge. The lighting was amazing, too.
LEAST FAVORITE SCENE: No scenes really stick out as bad, but I guess if I looked into it more I could find a couple flaws. But nitpicking is annoying.
OTHER THOUGHTS: It’s a great start off for a new franchise, but part of me wanted a little more closure and I wish we knew more about the backstories of Finn, and perhaps Poe Dameron. It sucked that Han had to die, but I could understand it (it sucks how these days, characters die not because it fits the plot but because contracts end).
RATING: Gourmet Pizza/10. There’s pieces for everyone that everyone will enjoy, young and old. It’s a very well made pizza, but not every slice is equal in size. It feels like the first course to a bigger meal.

I LOVE BB-8 JUST AS MUCH AS I THOUGHT I WOULD AAAAAAAAAAAAAH LOOK AT BB-8 THEY ARE THE BEST

http://45.media.tumblr.com/187644f2ee23525aaab0516391057721/tumblr_nzzk1zExFb1u8twqpo1_400.gif

Can I just say that rating it as a pizza out of 10 might just be the greatest and most accurate rating I have ever heard

I was a real big fan of the new lightsaber sounds and the final duel. Loved the mix between the red and blue.

Rey and Finn were written very well.