Welcome to RJFS: DIRECTING - Official Video Discussion

That’s what I do. Usually with smaller productions (aka student films), the director is usually the one with the camera unless you have one of those friends that is really good with photography and movement with the camera.

I’ve been directing short videos lately so from that experience I want to share with you, and later ask, that eloquence it’s more important than you can imagine. And now the question! If any person from the staff gets out of line and doesn’t work in team, as a director, how can you control that situation?

I’ve struggled with this a lot. I’m assuming by out of line means they’re trying to do their own thing. I’ve done a lot of short skits starting from 8th grade and have built a pretty solid team on good people to work with that work with the team. I’ve encountered a couple people like this, and usually, if it’s not working, I won’t work with them the next video, but while they’re on set, and assuming you’re the director, you want to be neutral. Don’t take sides. You have to do the unfortunate and awkward talk by saying, “hey, I value your contributions and are glad that you’re trying to take charge” but you have to remind them that it’s a team effort. Hope this helped.

This intro was quite helpful, is it Necessary to know everything from crew’s work to actor’s behaviour as a director?

I’d say the answer is yes, you need to know what everybody is doing on set.

ok, uh do directors also need to rehearse the entire script before shooting? like before even scheduling shooting?

so by directing you need to study all different things that come with directing like editing, audio, lighting, camera,and else?

not necessarily, but doing so will help you “direct” better. (Directing where the light should be, how something should be edited, etc.)

I’d agree; the things listed above are all parts of cinematic language. Light, camera, sound, editing, etc. - these are the tools, in addition to actors, used to tell the story. It’s very useful to have at least a basic understanding of how those areas work so you can think of achievable ways to get the results you want, and it’ll help you communicate your ideas with others. You don’t have to have a mastery of everything, but it’s certainly advantageous to understand the different parts of the film craft enough so that you can approach a project with specific and clear ideas.

As a director your always learning, who are some of the people you look to for help and assistance? Who are your heros?