What NOT To Say To An Actor - OFFICIAL DISCUSSION

Directors, take note! We asked some of our favorite talented friends “What should you never say to an actor?” Not only did they all have amazing stories, but in the process they gave us some fantastic advice.

Featuring:
Bryan Forrest (VGHS, Deadliest Warrior)
Kelsey Gunn (5 Second Films, DBPM3)
Brennan Murray (VGHS, Hickey)
Jimmy Wong (VGHS, RocketJump)
Ashly Burch (HAWP, RocketJump)
Alec Owen (5 Second Films, DBPM3)
Ellary Porterfield (VGHS, RocketJump)

Hey guys, great video. Good practical advice while being entertaining. While it was covered a bit in this one, I’d love to see a follow up video “What To Say To An Actor”. Or just a “How to Direct Actors”. I find myself guilty of some of the complaints in the video, so it would be great to see what is the correct way to guide an actor towards the director’s vision. Thanks! -WES

Hey there, this video is absolute GOLD for any and all directors, even those wanting to become actors and don’t know what to do on set. I’ve experienced so many of these, but my personal highlight was when I tried to ask and suggest an idea to the director, they literally screamed in my face and said that we were going to do it their way and thats it. You can imagine how that project went.

I’m have issues with my animated project at the moment and not sure how to move forward with it. It’s still in pre-production and my plan was to have the cast down early, so that we could work together all the way through to final product. So far that hasn’t been working. In defence to the voice actor I had lined up, no money is involved in this and it isn’t their full time occupation.

My question is this: Am I being to hasty? Or more so am I expecting too much? What is the best course of action from this point on?

I’ve tried talking to this person and discussing ideas with them, but they never reply to anything. The only thought I’ve had is to drop them completely and do the voice acting myself and instead use that as a way to pitch to professional voice actors.

That’s rough dude, hope it works out. And hey, if you need a voice actor and you think my voice will do I’d be happy to help you out. Just let me know :slightly_smiling:

Cheers man, sorry if this post comes off as a bit whiney, just unsure as to how to proceed.

Hey how are you

If i can offer a suggestions I’ve spent a lot of time and energy chasing people who don’t return calls, don’t return E-mails and just can’t be bothered to be involved to the point that I lost location waiting for them to pick up a phone or return a call While it can be hard to deal with people but you may need to forge forward on your own only calling in the people when they are needed

Without money involved it’s easy to say " well I should give them a break it’s not like i’m paying them " and thats right you should give them a break and work with them as much as you can, but also remember they agreed to help money or not they put their word out that they could and would handle it. They are just as responsible for their actions as you are yours so give them a break, but don’t let them break your project either

I hope this gave you a something to think about , This happens to me all the time and It’s really difficult to find good people but once you do you’ll have more fun then you can understand

This video is so crucial. It’s a gray area in directing that I have worried about for a long time, but I think this video really does sort out a lot of the misconceptions and mistakes in actor-director communication. I’m going to be working on a comedy short soon that features a main cast of five as well as several extras, so this video is definitely going to play a role in how I direct my people in the coming weeks.

Great job guys. I’ll see you in the next video.

Interesting, I leaned a lot through that.