Your Favorite Movies!

Here list your top 10 movies of all time!

I guess I’ll star this off:
10. The Avengers
9. Gaurdians of the Galaxy
8. Home Alone
7. Aliens
6. Predator
5. Alien
4.The Goonies
3. E.T. (Extra Terestrial)
2. Super 8
And Finally

1. Stand By Me

These aren’t in any particular order, and to be honest I am forgetting most of my favorites, but here are just some:

1. Zoolander
  2. Mr.Deeds
  3. Dark Night (Batman)
  4. The LEGO Movie
  5. Airplane
  6. The Avengers
  7. Predator
  8. Hitch hiker’s guide to the galaxy
  9. Guardians (Yes, that owl movie.)
  10. Rio

Here’s the first ten movies that I really like that I could think of:

1. Mind Game (2004) - Brilliant animated film, with a constantly-shifting art style exploring the magic and possibilities in life after reaching young adulthood. Non-pretentious and the only truly magical film I’ve experienced as an adult.
  2. Starship Troopers - Either the smartest dumb movie or the dumbest smart movie ever made.
  3. Princess Mononoke - IMO the best Ghibli film by far. It’s a master-class in believable fantasy, and its focused, narrowed view into a vast world demonstrates how to balance grandeur with subtlety.
  4. Jurassic Park - My favorite Spielberg fun-times film. Dinosaurs freaking eat people. I can’t over-state how amazing this movie is. And that soundtrack.
  5. Innocence (Ghost in the Shell 2) - Remarkably self-indulgent and more of an essay on film than a narrative, I still love this film to death, almost as much as it loves itself. It has a couple genuinely interesting post-cyberpunk ideas about man-as-machine, but it’s just so intriguing to me as a piece of art-film that I can forgive its relentless eccentricity.
  6. Blade Runner and Akira (tie, same reason) - Two films I’m not sure I actually “like,” but their overwhelming atmosphere and gut-level emotional essence through visuals and sound really left impressions on me.
  7. Star Wars (1977) - This is the movie that got me excited about the possibilities of the medium. No to the newer versions with the CGI that sticks out like a sore thumb.
  8. Brotherhood of the Wolf - This is probably the only “inspired by true events” / French period picture / Hong Kong-style martial arts / horror film ever made, and that’s probably for the best. But it’s amaaaazing.
  9. Joint Security Area - From “the guy who did Oldboy,” it opens as a detective investigation into a double-homicide on the North-South Korean border. The investigation reveals a heartbreaking truth - soldiers guarding the borders became good friends across national lines, before something led them to kill each other. My favorite film about the divided Koreas, and one of my favorites about war and cultural identity in general.
  10. Goldfinger - The third 007 movie, it has everything: an amazing theme song, memorable villians, an awesome car (that reappeared in Skyfall), action, comedy, and horribly dated racism and sexism! This film includes the phrase, “Pussy Galore’s Flying Circus.”

Stand By Me has been my number one favorite for a while now. Just had to write a huge paper about it for college too.

1. Pulp Fiction
  2. Red State
    3)Wreck-it Ralph
  3. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
  4. Stand By Me

Also love Moneyball, Safety Not Guaranteed, and anything by Sidney Lumet. I’m a sucker for JP series as well as BTTF.

In no apparent order:
Stand By Me: This is the third time it’s mentioned in the thread. I’m not surprised either. It’s a brilliant coming of age story with laughs, heart, and TRAINS!!!
Super 8: I love the character development and plot in this story, and how they intertwine. The ending could’ve been better (spoilers) because they set up like a monster movie, and instead he turned out to be a friendly ET/Cloverfield hybrid. I understood why they did it, but it would’ve been much creepier if they kept the monster more mysterious.
Chronicle: Dark and gritty, and shows how power corrupts. But it has some good mischief humor and they used the found footage element very well.
Close Encounters of the Third Kind: Need I describe this? It was awe-inspiring, to say the least.
Star Trek (reboot): Yeah yeah I know–not everyone likes this, because they changed this and got rid of that and make it “too Star Wars”. But by itself, I found it a ton of fun.
Star Wars trilogy: ESPECIALLY The Empire Strikes Back. NO ONE saw that twist coming. I thought the first film was actually sorta cliche, but the second and third actually subverted it and played with common sci-fi/fantasy tropes quite nicely.
The Goonies: Lol, this was hilarious. Every 80s boy’s fantasy.

Honorable mentions: Duel and The Sugarland Express. Both pre-Jaws Spielberg flicks–really great suspense films. The Diary of a Wimpy Kid movies are silly and childish but they’re pretty accurate to middle school life (according to my Dad :stuck_out_tongue: ) “Mud” is worth checking out, too.

Also, I forgot 21 & 22 jump street. I know, stupid humor, I still laughed though.

In no particular order and probably forgetting some…

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
  2. Thor
  3. The Avengers
  4. The Phantom of the Opera
  5. A Knight’s Tale
  6. Batman: The Dark Knight
  7. Lord of the Rings Trilogy/The Hobbit Trilogy
  8. Sleepy Hollow
  9. Star Wars
  10. Hidalgo
    I love Marvel movies, musicals, and anything Tim Burton. I am a movie buff, so only listing 10 was a challenge

Princess Mononoke and Star Wars. See @Kevin_Senzaki’s explanations.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - The most hilarious, dead accurate historical and religious humor I’ve encountered to date. The best. Fight me on it.

School of Rock - Excellent soundtrack, excellent kids, excellent Jack Black. All around fun comedy.

500 Days of Summer - As tired as I am of white/cis/hetero love stories, this one is an honest look at faulty expectations and communication in romantic relationships. Some of the nonlinear transitions were just so perfect I wanted to slap someone. Has an unexplained and magical musical number. Pretty to look at.

I’ll finish this list later.

So now that I have watched a ton more movies, and have learned a ton more film-making stuff, I have a new list:

(not in any particular order)

1. Snatch by Guy Ritchie
  2. Zoolander by Ben Stiller
  3. Lock, Stock, and 2 Smoking Barrels by Guy Ritchie
    4.Airplane by David Zucker
  4. The Matrix by The Wochovsky Brothers
  5. Kingsman by Matt Vaughn
  6. Pulp Fiction by Tarantino
  7. Django Unchained by Tarantino
  8. Kill Bill volume 2 by Tarantino
  9. Star Wars by George Lucas
  10. Minority Report by Speilberg
  11. Interstate 60 by Bob Gale
  12. Just Go With It by Dennis Dugan
  13. The Grand Budapest Hotel by Wes Anderson
  14. The Lego Movie by Chris Miller, Phil Lord
  15. The Legend of 1900 by Giuseppe Tornatore
  16. The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty by Ben Stiller

For now that’s it, but I’'ll come back to this thread every now and then and update my favorite movie list!
Anyone have any suggestions for movies to watch next?

I don’t really have a select few for favorite movies… it’s quite impossible. BUT for 2014(US), I think Whiplash, Gone Girl, and Boyhood would have to be my favorite few.

1-A clockwork orange
2-The Godfather
3-Casablanca
4-Robin Hood(1938)
5-Captain Blood
6-Goodfellas
7-Full Metal Jacket
8-Little Caeser
9-Jason and the Argonaughts
10-The Shawshank Redemption

Schoolhouse of Rock is awesome old School-hahahahahahaha…

I just love Figure 8, 3 is a magic number, My hero is 0, I am just a bill, Conjunction, Conjunction; whats your function,and so many others…/hahahahahaha…-to cool :smile:

Favorite Movies:

1. Star Wars (original) (1977)
  2. Alien (1979)
  3. The Jerk (1979)
  4. Space Balls (1987)
  5. French Kiss (1995)
  6. Small Time Crooks (2000)
  7. Chicken Little (2005)
  8. King Kong (2005)
  9. The Lorax (2012)
  10. Gravity 2013)

*only Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back are favorites, not really a Star Wars fan after that…

have you seen “now you see me”?
What did you think of that?

great list by the way

Haven’t seen it, but I just read the synopsis, looks pretty interesting! Have you seen “Cloud Atlas”? Planning on watching that movie soon. :smiley:

OK. Here we go.

1. Catch Me if You Can
  2. Inception
  3. Zodiac
  4. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
  5. Psycho (Hitchcock’s version all the way!)
  6. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
  7. Napoleon Dynamite
  8. Super 8
  9. Alien
  10. Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix

That’s awesome that you like The Secret Life of Walter Mitty too. You really need to watch Zoolander man!

I don’t think so, but that doesn’t say a lot; I have a brickload of movies that I still need/want to watch and i am an awfull pirate and somewhat of a collector of dvd’s so I’m not so quick to watch a lot.

Hi,

I’m sorry I got too many and it’s kind of difficult to choose which one is best as they are in different category. So I’ve made 3 categories with my top film in each:

Asian:
-My sassy girl
-I saw the devil
-The man from nowhere
-Infernal affairs
-Old boy
-Drunken Master II
-Warrior King
-Hard Boiled
-A bullet in the head
-Police Story
-Project A and many more of Jackie Chan!

Old/classic:
-star wars
-It’s a wonderful life
-American history X
-Blood diamond
-Psycho
-Heat
-Gone with the wind
-Rocky
-equilibrium
-gladiator

More recent:
-Memento
-Un prophete
-butterfly effect
-Interstellar
-Inception
-Iron Man
-Transformers : dark of the moon
-Wolf of wall street
-Fast and Furious 5
-Sin city
-Down/Rise of the planet of the Apes

and I’m not talking about animation yet!!!